What's new

need to convert wma files to mp3.... (1 Viewer)

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
is there a way to do this...
i went to high bit rate mp3 to 96 wma...
but want to make a mp3 disc to play in my toshiba 4700..
thx for the help;)

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
while i'm sure its possible, you are aware that each successive conversion lowers the quality of the files?

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
yes i am aware....wma is much better than mp3..i encoded at 192 wma since there is no loss and just want to convert to mp3 for playing...

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
i encoded at 192 wma since there is no loss
Wma (and mp3) are both lossy compression schemes, and reduce sound quality after compression. Everytime you encode/re-encode a file there is a degradation of the sound quality, even at 192kbs, mp3 or wma. The best that can be done is to use high bitrates to minimize the amount of data lost.

If you have converted a file to wma, then mp3, the sound quality will drop quite a bit with each conversion. Playing the files over stereo will make the loss even more apparent. If you have access to the original wav/CD, it will be much, much better sounding (and probably easier than converting wma to mp3).

If you still want to do it, one way would be to use Winamp's wavout ability to create a wav file from the wma, then encode a mp3 from the wav.

-Dave

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I also have opinions about the statement that WMA is better than MP3, but that's an entirely different discussion. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks