What's new

need to buy condo insurance, advice? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
need to insure the interior and contents of my townhouse, a condo policy should do as the HOA covers the exterior.

any tips, advice, or companies to reccomend?

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
With my townhouse, the HOA pays for actual homeowners insurance, so I only needed the contents covered. 98% of the insurance companies/agents refused to quote me a policy claiming that the HOA, and their insurance agent, lied. In contrast, Amica was very professional, took me seriously, and actually called the HOA's insurance agent to verify the HOA's coverage and exactly what I would need to cover the contents. I called Amica after a friend recommended them. In his case Amica quoted him homeowners insurance policy that was 1k less than the competition, including USAA (sp?).

Theresa

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Check with the provider of your auto insurance. I have auto, renters (previously owned and had homeowners), and personal liability from the same company, so I get a little multi-policy discount from them.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Read the coverages over VERY well. My renters insurance will only cover X amount of dollars for a computer, TV, Home Theater etc.. So if your HT would cost 16K to replace, make sure you're not just coverd for $1500. ;)

Jason_H

Second Unit
In contrast, Amica was very professional, took me seriously, and actually called the HOA's insurance agent to verify the HOA's coverage and exactly what I would need to cover the contents. I called Amica after a friend recommended them. In his case Amica quoted him homeowners insurance policy that was 1k less than the competition, including USAA (sp?).
I strongly second this suggestion, and since it sounds like you already have Amica for your auto, you are good to go. I am in the exact same situation, I have a townhouse with interior (contents) insurance and my auto insurance both with Amica. They are friendly, cheap(!), and on-the-ball. Like Leo said, you will also get a multi-line discount for having your home and auto insurance with them.

With my policy coming up in August, my local agent called me to notify me that they are splitting up the interior insurance (walls, appliances, floors) from the contents insurance on their new policies. She was actually checking if I would still need both, or just contents depending on the HOA policy, potentially saving me money. Very thoughtful. They also are insuring my sports car (Honda S2000) at $1100 a year (with defensive driving discount) which is really great.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
When I got my car insurance they told me they wouldn't give me a multi line discount :frowning:

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I'll second Amica. I use them for my auto and homeowners insurance (and before that for rental insurance). They constantly give me better rates for the same coverage levels.

My wife and I both have Civics, and we are covered for an entire year at about $1370. I've asked around for quotes, and most other places will give me about $1100 for six months. It's insane.

And I couldn't believe how low my homeowner's policy was. It's half what I have to pay for my flood insurance (stupid mortgage requirements). I do need to add a rider for my wife's jewelry and for the DVD collection at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks