What's new

Need to back up hard drive- help? (1 Viewer)

John Wilson

Supporting Actor
I am looking for suggestions as to the best way to completely back up my hard drive such that if I experience a drive crash, I can quickly and easily bring up my backup solution very quickly. I have read that some people install an identical slave drive and just do a complete copy to it periodically. This seems feasible but how would I go about implementing it?

Are there any other ways to do this? My system is as follows:

Dell Dimension 4100 P3-866 running XP PRO.
512 MB PC133
NTFS-formated 60GB HD partioned into 20GB and 40GB drives
MS Office 2000
IE6
OE6

I am very concerned that my documents and Outlook Express email files and settings be preserved.

I am looking for any and all possible solutions and a step-by-step procedure to implement it would be nice as well.:b

I don't ask for much, do I?:D

Thanks for your help/suggestions!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Easiest method would be to buy a new hard drive (preferably a big bugger, 120gb upwards), install it as a second drive and use Norton Ghost to image your entire first drive to it whenever you want. Using a large second drive means you can keep more than one archive and still use it as a secondary data storage area. For day-to-day backups of your mail files, the backup facility within Windows would suffice.

No doubt someone will suggest using RAID but unless you really need up-to-the-second resiliance it's not necessary.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I like raid's because they are mindless once set up, don't have to remember anything once you get the mirror going. If one hardrive fails your computer won't be sent back a few days just a few seconds. Plus if the Raid solution is up to spec the hardrive failure won't even cause a computer shut-down as the second hardrive should kick right in.

if you don't want to buy a second hardrive and have a CD-burner, you can always go that route, I believe norton ghost will ghost to multiple cd's. . . though if you do go this route I wouldn't ghost everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks