What's new

Need to add some westerns to my collection, recommendations (1 Viewer)

AlexGoodman

Agent
Definitely check out "Once Upon a Time in the West." It's not out yet on DVD, but I've heard that it's coming, and I can't wait.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
THE GREAT SILENCE
This is probably the best western you've never heard of, a French-Italian production starring Klaus Kinski as a heartless bounty hunter and Jean-Louis Trintignant as the speechless protagonist. It has what has to be the most uncompromising ending in the genre and perhaps in any movie. The widescreen DVD, produced by Fantoma, includes an alternate ending (ludicrous, but a hoot--the director was having fun with the studio, which mandated it for some countries) and a tribute by admiring director Alex Cox (Repo Man), who also contributes liner notes.
"It really has a claim to be the best spaghetti western of all time--and that in spite of the wonderful films of Sergio Leone," Cox says.
Highly recommended.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
If you wanna get really out there, check out Fassbinder's take on the spaghetti western, "WHITY". It's available in an eye-poppingly gorgeous anamorphic transfer from Fantoma (includes commentary track featuring the legendary DP, Michael Ballhaus, and Fassbinder regular, Ulli Lommel).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Lots of good choices. A few good ones not yet mentioned (unless I missed them) that are available on DVD:

Hombre
El Dorado
True Grit
Rio Grande

My top four most wanted on DVD list:

Ride the High Country
The Naked Spur
Destry Rides Again
Once upon a Time in the West

In the meantime, watch for these on TV.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I can vouch for:

STAGECOACH
SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON
RIO GRANDE
THE SEARCHERS
THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE
RED RIVER
RIO BRAVO
A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS
FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
HANG 'EM HIGH
HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER
THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES
UNFORGIVEN
HIGH NOON
SHANE
VERA CRUZ
THE MAN FROM LARAMIE
3:10 TO YUMA
THE BIG COUNTRY
THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN
WILL PENNY
THE WILD BUNCH
JUNIOR BONNER
GO WEST (Buster Keaton)
THE PROFESSIONALS
DJANGO
DAY OF ANGER
THE GREAT SILENCE
JEREMIAH JOHNSON
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF
QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER
MAVERICK

Some great westerns not currently on Region 1 DVD:

ONCE UOPN A TIME IN THE WEST
DUCK YOU SUCKER/A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE
RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY
WINCHESTER '73
THE FURIES
THE NAKED SPUR
BEND OF THE RIVER
THE FAR COUNTRY
MAN OF THE WEST
JUBAL
THE HANGING TREE
FORTY GUNS
DAY OF THE OUTLAW
ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO
WELLS FARGO
TEXAS
MY LITTLE CHICKADEE
RANCHO NOTORIOUS
MY DARLING CLEMENTINE
FORT APACHE
WAGONMASTER
WESTWARD THE WOMEN
THE WESTERNER (HBO Video edition is out-of-print)
HELL'S HEROES
THREE GODFATHERS (1936 & 1948 versions)
DESTRY RIDES AGAIN
FOUR FACES WEST
BLOOD ON THE MOON
RACHEL & THE STRANGER
YELLOW SKY
THE OX-BOW INCIDENT
THE GUNFIGHTER
RAWHIDE
GARDEN OF EVIL
COLORADO TERRITORY
THE LAW & JAKE WADE
SEVEN MEN FROM NOW
THE TALL T
RIDE LONESOME
THE BADLANDERS
THE FIRST TEXAN
THE BIG GUNDOWN
A MINUTE TO PRAY...A SECOND TO DIE
SABATA
RETURN OF SABATA
ADIOS SABATA
DEATH RIDES A HORSE (widescreen edition)
THE MERCENARY
THE SCALPHUNTERS
TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA
VALLEY OF GWANGI

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
These are all great suggestions. You can't go wrong with any western directed by John Ford, one of America's best directors, IMO.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'll second "The Long Riders". Love this movie by Walter Hill, and the casting of real-life brothers really added to the realism of the film. Has one of my favorite shoot-out scenes.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Late night channel surfing, I came across "Once Upon a Time In the West".. I was actually ready to fall asleep and just getting in a last few channels ; ) but this movie sucked me in, and before I knew it, well, lets just say that getting to sleep at 3 and waking up at 6 is no fun.. But Great Movie.. I couldn't get that harmonica tune out of my head for days!

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Peter I'd add Cowboy to your list of great westerns not currently on Region 1 DVD. Starred Glenn Ford and Jack Lemon.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
One of my favorites, that is rarely talked about, is Robert Benton's Bad Company (1972) starring Jeff Bridges, Barry Brown & John Savage(in a very early role).
It is very much a slow paced character piece and not for those looking for a "shoot em' up", but it has stuck with me ever since I was a child when I first caught it on late night TV (Mom & Dad didn't know :D).
It is about an upper class teen who run's from being recruited into the civil war and bands together with other young draft dodgers and runaways and the odd adventures they have just trying to survive on their own.
IMDB's plot summery is..
A young Jeff Bridges stars in this thought-provoking Western. A well-brought-up boy (Brown) finds himself alone in the world. He soon discovers that survival without friends is difficult and reluctantly joins a group of boyish outlaws whose morality at first seems questionable. As the film progresses, however, it seems that whatever their backgrounds they are all in a profound sense victims of circumstances. Their journey across the country seems increasingly to be leading nowhere as the film moves towards a poignant finale.
It is out on DVD and well worth a rent, I do suggest renting it first as it is a slower paced & detailed character study (albeit filled with humor, in fact it has quite a bit of humor in it now that I think of it ) and as such definitely isn't for everyone.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Oh wow, thanks everyone for the overwhelming responces!! I didnt have a chance to get online all day, just seeing these since I posted it in the morning. I can generate a pretty good list now from all these responces.
Thanks a ton everyone!!

Scott Bigbee

Auditioning
One western you have to see is Sydney Pollack's Jeremiah Johnson. This film starring Robert Redford is definately one of my all time favorites.
All my others have been listed already so I just wanted to stress -- GET :star: JEREMIAH JOHNSON!!! :star:
You'll be glad you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks