What's new

Need the PERFECT audio/video rack at a REASONABLE price..... (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
rack.jpg

Let me explain what I have....
I have a Busch audio/video cabinet with glass
doors that is now 10 years old. I bought it
for $300. It has 5 shelves, and I actually have
10 pieces of audio/video hardware on it.
Yes, 10!
Some of the shelves have 2 components stacked
on one another (such as VCRs). On top of the
cabinet I have 3 more components stacked up.
The cabinet is not in good shape.
I really want to buy a new audio/video rack.
Something with at least 5-6 shelves, with lots
of spacing that I could double up components.
Even better, in cabinet form so I can stack
more components on top of the cabinet.
Something that looks good, but not overly
expensive. About $300-$400.
Anybody have anything they can reccomend?
A link to a site is always the best bet.
Here is my equipment...
* Panasonic DVD
* Sony DVD
* JVC SVHS VCR
* PANASONIC VCR
* OUTLAW RECEIVER
* REPLAY TV
* SONY MINIDISC
* SONY CAROUSEL CD
* TASCAM CD RECORDER
* PIONEER LASERDISC PLAYER
Thanks
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

AllenD

Second Unit
Hi Ron!
Check out the link to pics of my HT on, where else, HTF's own "THEATERS" page and you can see my, ahem, rack. :) I have the Mitsubishi MR60705. It's about .5" shorter than my 65807 and matches almost perfectly with the RPTV. I imagine you can do the same if you decide on a 65809. The MR50705 would match the 55809 if you decide on that model instead.
I don't have as many components as you do. But there's four adjsutable shelves. Bottom and middle are permanent. I put my Onkyo TSDS787 in the middle since it offers the most support and the 787 is the heaviest unit in my rack. I got it for $290 w/o delivery. I had to pick it up from a local shop.
The racks are hard to find since Mitsubishi only makes them once, or twice a year. So, once retailers are sold out you won't be able to order another one until Mits starts producing more. At least that's what my dealer told me.
Good Luck!
EDIT: Here's a link to the detailed drawing for the MR60705 and the MR50705.
[Edited last by AllenD on October 15, 2001 at 06:53 PM]

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Ron, I own a Sanus rack which I love. I own separates so ventilation is mandatory, no sides on this rack.
Check out the Sanus racks at: www.audioadvisor.com
I purchased mine there and they have a 30 day return policy.
You can order these racks with 1 to 6 shelves, they are modular, very affordable too.
BTW, I still have a bush a/v rack.

KeithR

Second Unit
Maybe you need to sell some of that gear
wink.gif
I mean, 2 vcrs still--please!
I like the Salamander Archetype racks, as they are completely adjustable, and you can always stack two if necessary supposedly. That's 10 shelves!
Audioadvisor is clearing out the oak ones for 299. Hifi.com (not a typo) has the cherry (not discont. like oak) for 359, and had free shipping two weeks ago. Retail is 450, so I got a smokin deal I feel, as furniture aint' discounted often.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to second Salamander, but I really prefer the Synergy line. I have the S40 (40" tall) in walnut with the sides, black perf. door, and back. It came with 4 fully adjustable shelves. I current have 7 components in mine and could add 1 or two more (depending on height). And of course, they're stackable. I've seen several dealers with an S40 stacked on top of an S30. Add a second set on the other side along with a bridge across the top and you can put your center channel up there over a big RPTV. The Synergy series also has many options like storage drawers, wheels, a 2" deeper vented back for larger components, etc.
The only drawback is the price. The S40 retails for $800 at Tweeter, but I got mine elsewhere for 35% off ($520). If you're interested email me offline and I'll put you in contact with the dealer I used.
Brian
------------------

AllenD

Second Unit
Brett,
Good idea! I had a friend who just bought a similar unit for $299 at Circuit City.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
Tweeter has a line of stands and racks from Elite that are very reasonably priced and are very well built. You should take a look at the EL501 for $229. 5 shelves and judging from the picture in the Tweeter catalog there is a good amount of room for doubling up eqpm on a shelf. It also says that there's a wire management system for the rack but I can't tell from the picture.
I'm currently using the EL505 A/V stand and am very pleased with the construction.
It's out of your stated price range so I don't recommend it for you but I do wholeheartedly agree with the above praise for the Salamander Synergy system. When I eventually get a new rack it WILL be a Synergy, despite the price. One benefit of the Synergy system is that you can buy the base rack first and then add the additional pieces as cash flow permits. Beautiful furniture that expands to whatever the user needs.
Again, check out the Elite line. I'd provide a link to the Elite website but I couldn't seem to find one. Sorry!
EDIT: Try this link for a bit of info on the Elite. http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=336182
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!
[Edited last by Jim_C on October 16, 2001 at 03:01 PM]

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything because I know this is your forum, but I've seen better threads on this topic on audioasylum, audigon, and avs. I would suggest doing a search on these other forums especially audioasylum. Home Theater is my favorite and most often visited forum but I also go to others for a different perspective. I would charaterize your forum and avs as mainstream wheereas the others tend to attract a more specialized or audiophile crowd into two channel music. You are more likely to find people there with seperates requiring extensive shelving capability. I've seen some very good threads there on the subject.
Best regards-Henry
------------------

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
I love my Bell'Oggetti.
icon14.gif
Click the little house icon to see it. It was over $600 though.
eek.gif

------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Ronald:
I purchased a cabinet from studio Tech about five months ago at half price ($450). Top quality with an eye towards functionality. If you can wait, they'll start liquidating their current line in March of 2002 or try calling to see if they still have a cabinet or two of last years model in stock. Their site is www.studiotech.com.
Good Luck
Ron

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
Ron-
Why not have one built out to spec by a woodworking friend?
Or perhaps you could have a little DIY adventure at Home Depot?
These days it seems like if you want something PERFECT, that's the only way to go.
also, they may not be the first place you think of for HT furniture, but try IKEA- unfortunately, alot of the more appropriate HT furniture isn't on their website- you need the catalog or you need to visit the store. There is a pretty massive one is Jersey, if I recall.
Some of the other yuppie-esqe furnishing stores such as Container Store, Crate and Barrel, and even Pottery Barn may have some nifty shelving systems as well. good luck.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I purchased a five shelf Target open rack from www.audioadvisor.com (actually, it was through their mail order catalog) several years ago for approximately $300. The site has a wide selection of audio component racks from several companies. It's a good place to at least see what options are available. They also carry Bell'Oggetti, Salamander and Sanus brands.
You may also want to check out Link Removed . They also have several types of racks to choose from.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
There's always my $50 rack from Home Depot. Picked up their five level plastic, vented, garage shelf. Cut the risers to two component shelf spacing. A bit of black paint and poof -- a sturdy rack designed for hundreds of pounds load that holds 14 components with very ample circulation. They have two depths. Be sure to obtain the deeper one.

Thomas F

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased a Lovan Millenium rack from a bank closure inventory sale for about 45% retail. It was a display model that had a small internal blemish in one of the glass shelves in the back corner. I may replace the shelf at a later date. It's a little pricey, but gorgeous. Lovan also has some more affordable modular racks that are very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks