What's new

NEED TAB HUNTER on dvd (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I just got Tab Hunters Autobiography and mentions several films I have not seen in years three of which wouold be great for release on dvd
Lafayette Escadrille
The Burning Hills
The Girl He Left Behind

JackKay

Second Unit
I haven't heard a word from Sony/MGM on the DVD release of "The Loved One". Tab has a nice cameo in it.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I just want to see Tab's "cheesecloth bathing suit" in ISLAND OF DESIRE. Is that so wrong? ;)

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Will, glad to hear from you!

I read Tab Hunter's article on the New York Times. It was a kind of melancholic piece and it lacked juicy stories from 50's Hollywood and let be honest, that was what I was looking for. How is the book, Joe? Worth the buy?

By the way, I've never seen a Tab Hunter movie in my whole life. Am I fine, doctor?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I bought the book Alejandro and I'm loving it. It's certainly juicy in my book. You're telling me you've never even seen Damn Yankees?? Shame Alejandro!! ;)

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
Tab was pretty big in the 50's. 1955 was his breakthrough year: he made a strong impact in the smash-hit "Battle Cry", and Hunter also co-starred with John Wayne and Lana Turner in another box-office hit, "The Sea Chase." He followed through a year or so later with one of the biggest pop hits of the era, "Young Love" (#1 on the pop charts for six weeks, according to Billboard), then landed probably the best role of his film career in "Yankees." I've always thought Hunter was very well cast in the screen adaptation of this hit Broadway musical, and that he didn't deserve some of the negative backlash he received when the film opened (for example, watch Hunter's reactions to Gwen Verdon's seductive come-ons in the "Whatever Lola Wants" number- his "aw shucks" responses to Verdon's vamping are believable, funny, and perfectly in character).

I'm also looking forward to the autobiography. Having read Charles Winecoff's excellent biography of Anthony Perkins, I'm very interested in reading Hunter's take on their relationship. I'm also curious to view Tab's thoughts on his up-and-down career in Hollywood.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Will, it is a shame. Strangely enough Damn Yankees was never on tv when I grew up. Not that it's an excuse but I've seen all my classics on a small B&W tv set. Maybe because baseball was never popular in spain or what. I'm more ashamed even because I call myself a Bob Fosse fan... anyways, sins aside, the first glimpse of Tab Hunter I had was a black & white picture of him bearchested leaning on a ladder with (I think was) James Dean beside him. I was breathless. I've never seen such a beautiful man!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks