Need SVS amp options

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

If I were to buy an SVS 20-39 what other amp options are there out there. I really do not want to build an enclosure. Also what are the disadvantages of going with something other than the Samson s700? Thanks

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Phew... now that I had to trek through the other thread... and I thing I hit the high marks... if you do not like the SVS amps, there are only two things that you have to decide. How much, and/or how noisy? If you can stand a fan on the amp, get the SVS amp. If not, then look for a used non-fan amp like a Carver, parasound, or other... To me, if you pick a pro amp with a fan, then I wonder if you are wasting your money on a noisy amp which you'll pay mucho bucks more for without any SVS driving benefit...?

3. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Hi Jack glad to see you are replying to this post. I have seen your post on here and you aver very knowledgeable. I just wondered if there was another amp I could use to keep my cost down. (wife) The samson s700 looks to be a fine unit but it is enought to power 2 20-39's and I am only going to have one.(wonder what the chance are that I will want another later in a year or so?) Some people on here have used plate amps. I do not want to do that and have to solder something and build a box for it. Some people stated in some of the posts that they used a klh reciever amp. I asked Tom about this and he said I would lose 4-5dB of headroom. Can you translate that for me. How much of a difference is that? I would not do that if it is significant. Heck I dont want to pay all of this money for a speaker and then cripple it with not enough power. What do you suggest?

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Mr Bowles: Why not... I have a Crown K2(2X700w) for my single SVS Ultra and although I could bridge and offer the Ultra 2000Watts, that would be overkill, so I use it in the meantime while knowing that I could buy an unpowered SVS at any time if needed....

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Brian:

You're only going to notice the difference if you're going to be playing the SVS at the capability limit of the KLH receiver. That 4-5dB is at the very end. So, if you like to listen *really* loud, you'll want to avoid the KLH receiver route. But, if you won't be pushing its limits, why not save the money?

Since you can get it at BestBuy, why not get the SVS and the KLH receiver, then try it out and see what you think. You could always return it and find a more powerful amp. But, I think that if you try it and find yourself saying, "Wow, this is way underpowered" then you're really not going to be satisfied with an extra 4-5dB. You'll likely want a more powerful amp as well as another SVS!

e.g. 3dB requires double the power, but it's not a *huge* increase in volume.

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

brian,
    Richard's post makes a lot of sense and I'm not sure if I gave you the same type of feeling during our private emails(I think we've had 1 or 2,right? [​IMG] )
    depending on how loud you push a S700/20-39cs combo...(and the placement in the room,the size of the room,and the distance between the listener and the sub)...you may rarely need more than 100w or so from the S700 to drive the 20-39cs to the output levels you're going to need.
    TV

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

8. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Most cheaper receivers have over-stated ratings. I would guess the KLH would ouput about 70 watts in real world testing. Losing even 4-5 dB's is quite a lot IMO, and who knows, that figure might be even larger. If you're going to go for an SVS I'd go the whole distance. Afterall, you might as well just buy a cheaper powered sub if you're going to cripple the SVS's high output capabilities. It's like buying a Corvette with a Geo Metro engine!

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

John,

we actually take the fan noise issue seriously...seriously enough to change the amps we offer in midstream(fidek to samson).

Mike,right...4-5dB COULD be a big difference...but only if you'd have a room/system volume level that would need those 4-5dBs.(which is very possible of course).

We've had a lot of guys start off with 1 or 2 CS subs on anything from 25-100w...whatever they had laying around. They just waited for the right sale on a higher power amp...and then moved up when budget allowed.

I think a 20-39cs/$79 KLH would have approx the same clean output capability as a $2000(?) HGS12...so it's going to offer some decent bass.

TV

10. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I hear what you are saying Tom and that is my concern. I have a room that is 20x18 with 12' ceilings. I am afraid it could make a noticable difference. Of course I am new to all of this. I have not knowledge to base my concern. It is just a thought. This is why I keep asking so many questions. Basically I am clueless. [​IMG] Of course the only thing I have ever experienced is the velodyne ct10. I am sure it is a good product. It was just not enought for me or my room.

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Hi Brian,

TV already explained what to expect as far as applied power. With good sensitivity and a 4.75 ohm minimum impedance (?), the SVS is a cakewalk for just about any amplifier. In your room, though, I'd certainly think it wortwhile to provide all the power the sub can handle, as the additional headroom may indeed be good to have in such a space. I also think a stereo amp such as that Samson makes the most sense to allow future expansion (that is a pretty big room.) Those "plate amps" are an excellent option, but they do have the drawbacks you mentioned.