What's new

Need Surround Advice for Kef 104/2 with 100c (1 Viewer)

richardX

Auditioning
I am using Kef 104/2 for my main speakers and Kef model 100c for my center speaker. I need surrounds, but would like input as to what would match well with my fronts.

Right now, it looks to me like good choices are: Kef q2ds, Paradigm adp 150 or 170, or Axiom QS8. Price wise, it appears these can all be had in the $500 (+/-$100) range.

Considering the size and layout of my room and the fact the the surrounds will be used almost exclusively for movies, I think I'll stick with a dipole set.

Cruising around the internet, I haven't found much with respect to the Q2ds. Regarding Paradigm, I've seen mostly positive comments. Same with the Axiom, though I read one review that thought they were a tad soft or muddled.

Given time constraints, dealer locations, and Axiom only via mail, I doubt I will audition before purchase. If I'm not happy, I'll either have to return them or sell them on ebay.

So, before I buy, I'd love to hear opinions.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I bought KEF speakers about 8 months ago: Q11 mains, Q10c center, and Q1 surrounds. The Q1s sound wonderful for small bookshelf speakers. They'd sound fine as mains if I didn't have the Q11 towers. Anyway, I don't know how they'll sound w/ your 104/2s, but I just wanted to put in a plug for the Q1s.

Regards,
Doug

PS Are you sure your center is a 100c? I don't see it on the KEF website.

richardX

Auditioning
Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm afraid the Q1's might be too directional. The home I'm in is prewired and the speakers are set in the ceiling (10' ceilings) slightly behind the seating area and several feet away from the wall. Moving the location is more work than I'm willing to do. In the current location, directional speakers seem to be very noticeable--to the point of distracting. I tried a set of inexpensive direct speakers and dipole speakers and liked how the sound was dispersed with dipole, but did not like the sound of either speaker. In past homes, I had direct speakers and was happy with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks