Need suggestions (1 Viewer)

Adam-S

Auditioning
I have all active speakers now:

Mackie Hr824 L&R
Mackie Hr626 center
Tapco S5 (by mackie) sides and surrounds
powered subs

My problem now is that i want to upgrade my old HK AVR300 for a newer 7.1 reciever. However, I want all of the tuneability and options of the higher end recievers but dont want to pay extra for the large built in amps that they come with since i wont even be using them. Any suggestions?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not really. It’s a well-know fact that receivers are traditionally on the cutting edge of home theater technology, and they provide it much cheaper than a comparably-equipped pre-pro. This is probably because receivers, being far more popular than pre-pros, enjoy the economic benefit of “economies of scale.”

Don’t look at it as if you’re wasting money on a power amp section that you won’t use. Look at it like you’re getting them for free. :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

And also intefering with the low-level processing section. I would look at previous gen top-end av pre-amp.

A older av pre-amp is still more tuneable than the newer av amps. They still seem basic in comparison. And you get more digital inputs too (5 coax, 3 optical, 1 direct BM bypass coax, 1 coax digital output) on a MC-1. I've yet to see a av amp with this level of connections. Unless you're getting a £2000 av amp. But since your speakers are active it would be wasted money.

A DC-2 can still hold it's own in processing/sound quality compared to £800 AV amps.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I really don’t see how an idling amplifier can interfere with signal processing.

Also, Adam said he wanted a 7.1 system. Does the MC-1 or AV-2 meet that qualification?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

I do. ;)

The DC-2/MC-1 is a 7.1 av pre-amp. It doesn't have 5.1 inputs though- but it'll expand any source to 7.1 stereo side/rears.

Just because it's "old" doesn't mean a new budget av amp outperforms it. Or even a mid end AV amp.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
How ’bout a higher-end receiver? Adam did note that they provide the “flexibility and options” he was interested in, after all.

Also it might be helpful to give the brand name for the unit(s) you’re recommending and a price he could expect to pay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Adam-S

Auditioning
If i did go with a regular 7.1 A/V reciever are there any out there that have all of the adjustability without a huge price tag. I like the pre amps but im finding that many of them are more audio oriented with no video. Being able to swith sources without digging through a stack of remotes sure seems convenient! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks