Need Suggestions & Recommendations on 1G SD & MMC Memory Cards

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Nils Luehrmann, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Mar 21, 2001
    I bought a MobiDV H12 i-Joy and am now looking at getting a 1G SanDisk memory card. I really do not know anything about SD or MMC cards, except that apparently some are faster than others?

Any suggestions and recommendations on what card to get and a retail source would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    I do okay with SD cards rated at 60x or above. I have a couple of Sandisk Ultra II SD cards for my Canon S2, and it records 640x480 at 30fps without a problem. If the SD card is slower, video capture could become a problem.

I also have an ATP SD card that was also rated for 60x, and it also does well with my S2 in video capture mode. Personally 60x is my baseline, I wouldn't buy a SD card that was slower than 60x for my particular needs.

CompUSA, Circuit City sell Sandisk Ultra IIs. Best Buy might also stock them. I think Fry's also stock them, but they also offer the ATP SD cards too. I'd stay away from Lexar for the time being, just too many horror stories about them in the past 6 months. PNY may be cheap, but I don't think they are rated above 33x, and might cause you problems if you use video capture mode on your device. Also, stay away from the normal Sandisk SD cards as they aren't as fast, either.