Need suggestions re moving my Panny TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Hammond, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Ryan Hammond

Ryan Hammond Auditioning

We are moving from N. California to S. California in the near future, and I'm puzzled as to how to repack and move our ct32hx41 (probably ~150 lbs) TV that we bought earlier this year. I saved the box and packing styrofoam; however, the box was sealed with very large metal staples as opposed to packing tape. The last thing I need is for me to repack the TV and seal it with packing tape only to have the TV fall out of the bottom of the box, or for the TV to "vibrate" too much in the back of the movers truck and become out of alignment, etc.

Anyone have any comforting information to share with me? Did you allow a moving company to transport your TV or did you take it in your car/truck yourself? I most definately don't want to wind up at our new place only to find that the TV was damaged in the move. Thanks in advance for the suggestions/tips.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ryan: If you can handle transporting the Panasonic yourself, I strongly recommend that you do so. The movers will tell you they are completely insured, but they themselves don't care about that TV the way you do--and they won't treat it the way you do. A sad fact of life.

3. Dan Luttrell

Dan Luttrell Auditioning

I too am moving in the near future and considered hiring a "professional" moving company handle my 55" Mits simply because of the fact that they are insured. However, I learned that the movers are only required to carry enough insurance to cover $0.65 per pound per object. So, for your +- 150lb. unit, they would only be responsible for about $97.50 if they damaged your television. You can get extra insurance to cover the actual replacement cost of the television for an additional fee. Let me also state that I live in Texas, and was told by the various moving companies that the coverage mentioned was all the was required by law. I do know if that is only for Texas, or if it is a national policy.

As far as "vibration" and the like, I am sure that the shipping by the manufacturer and distributor has at least as bad, if not worse. When my Mits was delivered, the lift on the delivery truck stopped about a foot or so from the ground, so the delivery guys just shoved the box off the edge and let it "fall" to the ground. I was obviously not too impressed with that idea, but the unit works fine....knock on wood for the next move. Fortunately you were able to retain the original box and packing material. I was lucky enough to get another box for an identical unit from the local Home Theater Store.

4. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,
    Good job on keeping the box and packing materials... without them, moving your TV might be more of a problem. But if you get the TV into its box (2-3 strips of shipping tape on the top and bottom will be fine, just be sure to put your hands under the box as you carry it) your TV will transport just fine, even if the movers move it. Your TV made it all the way from China or Japan or Mexico or whatever to your home in that box, anther few hundered miles will be OK too. Good luck!

5. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

Just tapeup the box with heavy duct tape and mutiple strips and the box should be fine.

6. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Nylon reinforced tape-not Duct.
    and go all the way around the box a few times
    Good Luck

7. Ryan Hammond

Ryan Hammond Auditioning

The more I think about it, the more I can convince myself that everything will be alright (after all, the TV bounced around all the way from Mexico). Thanks for the tip on the nylon-reinforced tape. I'll check with the prof. movers re extra insurance (it'll probably be like another $20-40, which isn't much compared to the total cost to move ($1500-$1800)). Thanks again for everyone's input.