Need Suggestions on Serious Film Magazines!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveDoyon, Jan 25, 2003.

1. SteveDoyon

SteveDoyon Auditioning

Hey all you film buffs - I need your suggestions on your favourite film magazines or quarterlies. I don't mean DVD or Home Theater mags, but serious discussion of film and cinema.

Let me know what you read, and why you like it.

Thanks

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Get FilmFax.

3. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I read the UK made film magazine Empire. Every issue is full of reviews (although kinda dated), in depth interviews and lots of infomation on films. Plus wit and humor. Price per issue might be kinda steep (I pay $8.50) but it's well worth it.

Dean

4. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Empire? IMO, don't touch it with a barge pole.

Video Watchdog is an utterly fabulous publication by Tim and Donna Lucas, detailing the fates, versions and merits of various items of cult and classic cinema in gloriously minute detail.

www.videowatchdog.com

Buy with confidence!

5. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I second Jon's recommendation of Video Watchdog. Probably the best mag of it's type on the market today.

6. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Apparently Martin Scorsese is a huge fan and subscriber, and Joe Dante writes a column for it.

7. SteveDoyon

SteveDoyon Auditioning

Thanks for the tips, but I'm looking for mags or journals which aren't quite so commercial. More focused on analysis of films or directors. More like Film Comment or Cineaste.

Anyone else?? Come on, I know there are some serious film students frequenting this forum.

8. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I have two magazines worth recommending:

American Cinematographer - this magazine focuses on the art and craft of cinematography and is a must-read for me every month.

Millimeter - this magazine focuses on directing and editing. It focuses on film but also has some television/video coverage.

-greg

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

SIght & Sound from the U.K. and Film Comment, which you've already mentioned.

10. SteveDoyon

SteveDoyon Auditioning

Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely check out Sight & Sound, American Cinematographer and Millimeter.

11. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

I second American Cinematographer...
    I've gained a huge understanding of the imnportance of cinmetography through my subscription to that magazine.

Now where can I get this Millimeter...

12. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi,

as someone who has never contemplated these mags, what does one learn from them? If anyone takes the time to answer, I'd really appreciate it. What I want to know is how to appreciate film better. My collection exceeds my knowledge, so what should I do to become more knowledgable about film?

Thanks so much, Dan

13. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

Hi Dan. this has been my agenda. keep stocking up on more films is #1. take a film history/theory class at a local college. even better is to take basic film school courses, like you were planning on making a film. also, always have a good stock of film related books including specific genre titles and director bios. thats about as deep as I get.

btw, Video Watchdog magazine, as mentioned before is outstanding. it's my "bible" and wish it was out weekly! I'm still waiting for my Bava book....Tim has been working hard on this gem and I cant wait!!! I consider Tim an expert on film and his liner notes and commentary for some killer dvds(Black Sunday comes to mind)...and he and wife Donna seem to be very cool people.

14. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

A couple of online journals worth noting: Bright Lights Film and Senses of Cinema. Both journals encompass an eclectic range of films, but the coverage is almost always in depth and provide a good amount of peripheral information on the filmmaker or the filmmaking process. The international cadre of writers for Senses also tends to make it a good barometer for noteworthy films on the horizon.

BTW, I write for Senses, but even if I didn't, I'd recommend them anyway. [The Fruit Chan/Made in Hong Kong article in the new issue is mine (acquarello)].

15. Todd Bennington

In addition to S&S and Film Comment, I've enjoyed reading Filmmaker and RES (focusing on digital filmmaking). S&S is the only one I read without fail though.