Need suggestions on receiver or seps. for HT w/NHT 2.5i

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robin Casady, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

This is my first post. Hope I don't make any faux pas.

My Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX receiver has become flakey. If I set it to THX on the DVD mode it goes silent. Even changing to another mode wont help. It wont play CD, LD, radio, or anything. Sometimes the sound will come back after five minutes. Sometimes it takes overnight.

Anyway, I think the warranty is out. Rather than have it fixed, I'll just use it somewhere THX isn't needed.

So, now is the time to improve things a bit. My HT system is:

main: NHT 2.5i

center: NHT AC-1

rear: NHT 1.5

woofer: Velodyne F-1000B

HDTV: Toshiba TW40X81

Toshiba SD-9100 Progressive DVD player

Sony MDP-650 LD player

Malata DVD-996 (may be replaced by something better)

Ancient Sony 5 CD player with optical digital out.

Most cables from BetterCables.com some Monster

audio going digitally from components to receiver.

Component video going directly to TV

SVideo going through receiver.

room size 24 x 20 ft.

I've been trying to glean some smarts from scanning the forum, but haven't figured out where my system fits in.

The Outlaw 950 sounds great, but is it pointless with my NHT 2.5i main speakers? I guess I would also need an amp (770?) with it, and wouldn't see it for months. I guess I could survive.

What would make the most sense with my speakers?

Thanks,

2. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Heh-heh...great post Robin!

I've recently purchased some [email protected] NHT's from OneCall and have been trying to decide what to drive them with.

I've considered the 950 also, but not being able to have different x-over levels for music vs. ht really prevents me from getting them, as I really prefer the sounds of the 2.5i with minimal input from my sub.

What I've decided on so far is to get a decent 2/3 channel amp to bi-amp the fronts, then use my old Onkyo 676 to drive the other channels. This is only a temporary solution until someone here points out a better (and cost-effective) solution.

I'm looking forward to the Newcastle processor being released in September, but that's a long ways to wait.

3. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

What is your budget? And do you listen to music in only 2 channel, without the sub? Do you want to add 1-2 rear centers?

4. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

I don't really have a budget. It would come down to a cost/benefit decision based on what was appropriate for the speaker system.

I do listen to CDs, but the system is mainly used for movies. I don't turn off the sub, should I?

I could add speakers if it made sense. Are there many films that make use of six or seven channels? Or, is this something that is coming?

5. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Robin,

I have the same speakers you do and I drive them with a Denon 3802. I was concerned that wouldn't be enough power to adequately drive the NHT's but it is! Sounds great and I love it.

Matt

6. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I'm not up on what's what in audio. Would the Denon 3802 be a significant improvement over the Pioneer VSX-26TX in sound quality?

7. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Robin,
    NHT has recently discontinued the music series, you should consider getting the Audiocenter2 from onecall.com for 50% off...$422. People with 2.5s have upgraded from AC1 to AC2 and have noticed significant improvement...especially since you are mostly HT and the center speaker is most important for ac3, dts, and Dolby Pro Logic2 (which probably add up to 95+ percent of your listening). You can move the AC1 to the rear and make it a great rear center.
    For receivers in the $1k range, consider the Denon 3802, Onkyo 898, and Sony DA5ES. All of these should be better than your Elite 26. The Sony has flexible bass mgmt from 40-120hz per speaker, would be very nice for 2.5s. And no, I don't think you should turn the sub off!
    Checkout onecall, jandr.com, oade.com, and 6ave.com.
    If you really want awesome HT on a budget, you can get a fully loaded Lexicon DC1 for under $1200 and two 5 channel amps for under $500....about $2k for great 7 channel HT sound.
    I have owned many NHT speakers and a variety of prepros, amps, receivers. I just upgraded to a Lexicon (in this thread):
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=47656

8. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

Ricky,
    Thanks for the heads-up on the AC2. I placed an order for one. That gives me six speakers. I keep hearing about 7 channels, and have seen diagrams for eight speakers. How does this work? Do I also need side speakers, or can I set it up with six?
    Now back to regular programming...
    I get the impression that the Denon 3802 is the favored receiver in this price range. I have no experience with Denon. I don't see much comment about the 4802 nor 5800. Are they not enough better than the 3802 to be worth twice the money, and more?
    I've been happy with the reliability of Sony equipment I've owned. How does the DA5ES compare to the 3802? I noticed comments on the smoothness and warmth of the Denon. I chose the NHT 2.5i speakers because I preferred their sound over the much brighter THX (I think) equivalents. However, I wouldn't want to lose too much clarity to smoothness. [​IMG]
    The Lexicon DC1 setup sounds like it is a little less money than the Outlaw 950 + 770 setup. Everyone is raving about the 950. How do they compare?
    Thanks,

9. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Robin,
    For a non-lexicon 6.1/7.1 setup, you can use two AC1s or two 1.5s for rear centers...or one AC1 would work (since the rear center signal for DVDs is mono. If you go with Lexicon, full-range sides are recommended...so maybe 2.5i for sides, and your existing 1.5s for rears.
    All your other questions are debated everyday on this forum, so just start reading some threads, and come back to us [​IMG] All, I can say is, I've had alot of gear and think Lexicon is the best for surround sound from digital sources [​IMG]