need suggestions on first system

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisDix, Apr 2, 2004.

1. ChrisDix

ChrisDix Auditioning

Ok. I am looking to buy my first surround sound system. I will be in a dorm room for one more year, then i will move to an appartment. My room next year is going to be 21x13ft. I just have a few ?'s on how i should go about getting everything. I pretty much have decided on fluance speakers. they just provide the bang for the buck that a college student needs. instead of the preconfigured packages, i think that i want to piece together a package. I would like the sv-10, av-bp2's, and a av-sc center. I will probably get either an okyno 501 or a yamaha 5640 receiver. Can i just get the sv-10's and buy the rest as the money becomes available? is this a resonable setup, or should i look in other directions? any help or advice is greatly appreciated. oh yeah, besides speakers and everything, how much is the accessories to hook everything up gonna cost? just an estimate. again thanks alot. i also forgot to mention, that i will listen to about 70% music and 30% movies. when at home i watch more movies, but with school its harder to find 2 empty hours to watch a movie.

chris dixon

2. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I have SV10's driven by a kenwood receiver and music (especially rock) dosnt sound all that good IMO. However, movies are pretty good. Unless you have your heart set on the Dipole surrounds i would consider the SV-6 bookshelves as they should be a better match for the sv10's.

3. ChrisDix

ChrisDix Auditioning

thanks for the reply and suggestions. like i said im planning on just getting the sv-10's and the receiver now. I also plan on getting the dayton 10. with the sv-10's and the subwoofer, will this sound good? i mean, am i going about this all wrong? i will eventually get the center and surrounds, but i think the tower and sub are more important with me just getting started. again thanks for all the help.

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Yes, it will sound fine, especially if your 70% music, you will probably only be listening in stereo anyways. I actually have the dayton as well. Get yourself a kenwood vr6070 and we will have the same setup.