What's new

Need suggestions, LCD or DLP? (1 Viewer)

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

My 2 year old RCA 50" 720 DLP died recently and Walmart is sending me a check to replace it (Thank goodness for extended warranty!). So I have about $1800 to spend on a new HDTV, any recommendations/suggestions? I'll be using it for PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming, watching HD programming from Directv and watching blu ray movies and I want full 1080P this time around.

I'm thinking of getting an LCD this time or another DLP 50" or bigger, no plasma. Walmart has a 52" Philips LCD that I'm interested in and then there is a Samsung 56" DLP for the same price at BB. Which one to get? Or should I not even bother with DLP anymore?

Thanks for any advice/recommendations!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Probably depends on which set of compromises work best for you. If you do most of your viewing in brightly lit conditions, then you might be better off w/ an LCD. Otherwise, you might want to check out something like this year's Samsung 61" LED DLP (not last year's) -- it seems a tad dimmer w/ maybe a bit smaller viewing angle than the color-wheel/bulb-based units, but seems to gain substantially in long term operating cost and reliability/durability (plus no more worries about the rainbow effect). I almost went that route myself until I decided my current 53" CRT RPTV is probably still good enough for another couple years -- and hopefully, plasma tech or whatever else will be that much better and more affordable by then.

You should easily find the Sammy 61" LED DLP online for

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
At that price point, LCD panels should be avoided, unless you have really compromised viewing conditions. Unless you can afford a top of the line LCD, DLP rear projection or plasma will offer much better overall picture quality. Even the top LCDs have problems with motion still. Across the board, LCDs lose about 50% of resolution trying to keep up with fast motion picture content. Don't be swayed by the growing broad popularity of LCD panels. Most consumers don't know what image fidelity is about and just want something flat and "cool." The masses typically settle for mediocrity in most things.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies! Another question, is it true that DLP is soon becoming obsolete?

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Not likely any time soon. I've heard it suggested that both plasma and rear projection sets in general could be displaced by LCDs because of the mass popularity and increased sales of LCD flat panels over the last 2 years. Pure speculation so far.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I'm a die-hard rear projection fan but would have to disagree--the recent disappearance of Toshiba, Sony, and Panasonic from the rptv market is writing on the wall.

The folks who really care about HD and PQ in general have already purchased sets, the marketplace now is dominated by those who care more about the shape of the tv itself--it's gotta be flat or no sale--and have no concern for pq.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Then again, we have Mitsubishi's new laser DLP RPTVs recently released, and there is a growing focus upon 3D imaging with DLP RPTVs. There is a continual influx of new TV purchasers and freshly-awakened videophiles entering the market all the time. I don't believe the masses will become videophiles but there should still be a substantial portion of video consumers able to support niche products of superior performance.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
I ended up with neither and I got myself a 50 inch plasma instead, the latest 1080p Vizio VP504F from Sam's and I'm very happy with it, no complaints and I love it! Beautiful set, easy on the eyes and my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks