What's new

Need suggestions...Interested in SVS (1 Viewer)

Shaun

Second Unit
Hello,
Sorry to barge in on the current conversations, but I too have been thinking about taking the SVS plunge and replacing my current subwoofer. I don't have much money to spend, but considering that any of the SVS subs would be a quantum leap compared to the sub that I am using now for my home theater, I can't really go wrong. I was thinking of purchasing the SVS 25-31 PC. I will be using the sub 100% for movies (TPM, SPR, U-571, Haunting, etc.). I was just wondering if I could get some opinions, options, or suggestions from anyone here at the forum.
This is a big step for me right now, as I haven't really upgraded my system since last Christmas. I have been very happy with my current setup, which has provided me and my family with many hours of fun and excitement. However, after viewing the TPM DVD (the movie that originally got me to bite the bullet and buy a DD 5.1 surround system), I am no longer satisfied with my current subwoofer, an Infinity BU-120. Don't get me wrong, it is a great sub, and has been very adequate in my HT. I just crave something bigger and better (don't we all!), and it's about time too. Any help would be very much appreciated, as all of you have provided me with so much knowledge and support over my HT years.
Here is the current audio setup of my HT:
Onkyo TX-DS575X DD/DTS Receiver
Onkyo DV-C501 DVD Player
Infinity IL30 Main Speakers
Infinity IL25C Center Speaker
Infinity RS-3 Surround Speakers
Infinity BU-120 150watt Powered Subwoofer
Current pictures can be seen at my HT website at www.geocities.com/sirefbud , also listed in my signature.
Thank you.
------------------
Shawn Siref
(Shaun is my code name, Shhh! Don't tell anyone!)
Shawn's Home Theater
Shawn's DVDs

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Shaun, the 25-31PC would be a nice upgrade over the 120. Depending on your room size...it will offer good energy into the 20-23hz range. You'll be giving up the lowest of the low bass (the under 20hz stuff) on the rare DVD that contains it(TPM for example)...but about 95% of the time, the 25-31PC would perform as well or a little better than the more expensive 39/46PCs.
How large is your room,and how close to *reference* levels will you be cranking the overall volume on those action oriented DVDs?
TV

Shaun

Second Unit
I couldn't really tell you what the size of my room is, since it leads basically to every other room in the house. It's not an enclosed room and leads to the stairs, the bedroom hallway and the kitchen and dining room. So it's a medium sized open area.
With the pictures posted on my website here , can you tell me if the 25-31PC would work well with my system, or if it would be more wise to purchase the 25-31CS w/Samson amp. Like I said I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I do like the added power of the Samson amp and the capability to add a second SVS in the future.
My main question is how much of a difference will I be able hear or feel upgrading from the Infinity BU-120 to the SVS 25-31PC. Considering that I get very acceptable bass from the Infinity (a sub considered by many to be sub-par), would I literally be blown away by a sub that has yet to receive one negative review?
I usually watch movies at moderate sound levels (-15 to -10 on the Onkyo), only once in a while do I put it up to reference, or movie theater level (+5 to +10 on the Onkyo). Usually when I first buy a new DVD, or on the weekends, when I have time to watch maybe one DVD with my family. And then every once in a while I like to playback a couple of "reference" scenes in some of the big demo DVDs just for the fun of it.
Anyway, any more help would sure be appreciated.
Thanks.
------------------
Shawn Siref
Shawn's Home Theater
Shawn's DVDs

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Shaun,
I just upgraded my sub to the SVS 20-39PC from a Velodyne CT-150. The Velodyne is a very good sub in a similar price class as the SVS, but price is the only way to compare the two. The SVS has blown me away with how intense it is...on the THX intro to TPM, I was playing it at about 70 dB (via pink noise calibration), and when the "ball" exploded for the first time, mife wife ran downstairs to see if a truck drove into our house (It also scared the S**T out of my kids!). My room opens up to a similar degree that yours does and I also have cathedral ceilings but I have been nothing but impressed with the SVS in the 5 days that I have owned it. I haven't heard the "25", but I would suggest the 20-39 because of the lower bass extension (99% of the time my setup is used for movies).
Hope this helps.
Dave
My system:
Onkyo TX-DS 989 Receiver
Sony KP-48V Televison
Sony S770 DVD player
Cambridge Soundworks Tower Speakers (Mains)
Cambridge Soundworks Centerstage Center Speaker
Cambridge Soundworks S300 Surrounds (4 of them) {set to Bi-Pole Mode}
SVS 20-39PC Sub

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Shawn, you're in the Omaha area, aren't you? If so, send me an e-mail and maybe we can arrange a demo of my SVS 20-39PC. (I tried to check out your site but apparently you've exceeded your data transfer allotment. Bummer!)
Ron
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I couldn't really tell you what the size of my room is, since it leads basically to every other room in the house. It's not an enclosed room and leads to the stairs, the bedroom hallway and the kitchen and dining room. So it's a medium sized open area.>With the pictures posted on my website here , can you tell me if the 25-31PC would work well with my system, or if it would be more wise to purchase the 25-31CS w/Samson amp. Like I said I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I do like the added power of the Samson amp and the capability to add a second SVS in the future.>>I usually watch movies at moderate sound levels (-15 to -10 on the Onkyo), only once in a while do I put it up to reference, or movie theater level (+5 to +10 on the Onkyo). Usually when I first buy a new DVD, or on the weekends, when I have time to watch maybe one DVD with my family. And then every once in a while I like to playback a couple of "reference" scenes in some of the big demo DVDs just for the fun of it.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Shaun, I have one strong suggestion. Just do it! You'll get a big upgrade in sound that is sure to put a smile across your and your buddies' faces. The wide eyed look of a guest when the sub hits the first time is half the fun. At any rate, in the very unlikely event you don't like it, you get a decent return policy.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Shaun if you can afford it I recommend going with the 20-39 if you can swing it. I have one and it is awesome!
The difference between this and my previous sub - a Paradigm PS1000 was, and still is, unbelievable!
Next to going to Front Projection - this was my most major improvement in my HT setup.
Either way - 25-31 or a 20-39 will make a big difference for you.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Shaun

Second Unit
Ok, I've been doing a lot of thinking and thanks to the many positive reviews and all of your suggestions, I think I will go with the SVS 20-39PC subwoofer.
Ron Eastman - I took a look at your website and found that the pictures of your sub being unveiled were very helpful and influential. Where in Omaha do you live?
I do have some questions about delivery though. How long does it take to receive the sub after placing the order? I know for a while there was a huge wait list for these subs and maybe there still is, but I'd still like to know an estimate of arrival if I were to place the order on either the 22nd or 23rd of Oct.
Also, will the order be shipped via UPS or FedEX? I wouldn't want to come home one day and see, to my suprise, a big box that might have been sitting on my front step for a couple of hours open to potential thieves or bad weather. UPS likes to just dump boxes off without even ringing the doorbell.
Thanks again all! I believe I will be very happy with this new subwoofer.
------------------
Shawn Siref
Shawn's Home Theater
Shawn's DVDs

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Shawn - Glad you enjoyed my photos.
I sent you an email. Let me know if you'd like a demo and we'll work something out.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
tom-
why would you recommend the s7000/cs combo for an open room?
that is the way my room is (kinda)--living room, dining room and it opens to the kitchen. so the room is 24x17 before it opens to the kitchen. filling the room with bass is not a problem with my v-90 M&K, so why go with the cs combo over the powered 20-39
i am ready to buy on monday once this gets setteled
biggrin.gif

peace
geordy
patriot.gif

------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>tom-
why would you recommend the s7000/cs combo for an open room?
that is the way my room is (kinda)--living room, dining room and it opens to the kitchen. so the room is 24x17 before it opens to the kitchen. filling the room with bass is not a problem with my v-90 M&K, so why go with the cs combo over the powered 20-39

Nick P

Second Unit
Tom V., I know what you mean about low clean bass becoming addictive. Why do you think I've been bugging you with my emails about room placement and adding an equalizer? :)
------------------
[Edited last by Nick P on October 21, 2001 at 08:46 PM]

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
ok,
so what is the difference between having the powered vs an amp?
any different capabilities?
two aren't an option now (maybe next year
biggrin.gif
)
also, what does this amp look like -- size-wise(also, my fiancee will KILL me if i bring in another remote)
it needs to fit into our cabinet, what types of wires are needed to run between the amp and receiver?
whoooo boy, am i gonna be in trouble :)
geordy
[Edited last by Geordy on October 21, 2001 at 09:42 PM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>ok,
so what is the difference between having the powered vs an amp?
any different capabilities?>two aren't an option now (maybe next year )
also, what does this amp look like -- size-wise(also, my fiancee will KILL me if i bring in another remote)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks