Need Suggestions for Receiver and Amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulJohn, Nov 15, 2002.

1. PaulJohn

PaulJohn Auditioning

Hello all,

I was wondering if you guys could steer me in the right direction for a new receiver and amp.

I have around $2000-$2500 total for both units.

If I am correct in reading other posts I will need a receiver with pre-outs. I was looking into some of the Marantz models but it seems like you have to get way up there in price before you get pre-outs. I might be missing a few units though.

Here is my setup so maybe I can get a good match with my speakers and such

TV: Toshiba 50HX81
    Speakers: Studio 100's v.2 with Studio CC Center Channel

I do not have surround speakers as of yet but will prolly be getting the ADP's from Paradigm in the next few weeks. Also, side surrounds will not be possible as my room will not allow it.

Traveling to Windsor(Canada) is not a problem as I have a house there, just in case some of you would recommend a Canadian manufacturer.

Thanks in advance,

PaulJohn

2. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 3802 and a 3 channel B&K amp that work great together. You are correct that the receiver needs pre-outs to connect a external amp. Any of the big names will have models that have pre-outs. You may also want to look at the Outlaw 950 pre-pro and there 5 channel amp at www.outlawaudio.com . The route I took is to find a quality receiver that has all the current features, then find a really good used amp to help out for 2 channel music.

3. PaulJohn

PaulJohn Auditioning

Wayne,

Thanks for the reply. I just looked at the 950, looks nice. I just noticed something about pre-pro's that I didn't know before as I have never really looked at them.

Are pre-pro thesame as av receivers without the video inputs. If that is the case, I guess I don't need a receiver as I don't use the video in on my current receiver anyways.

Thanks,

PaulJohn

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Your Pre-Pro will do everything a Reciever will do only better. If you are going to use seperate Amps then you dont want a Reciever . By the time you buy a reciever high enough up the ladder to give you all the pre-outs you can buy a good Pre-Pro.
    Lots of good stuff in your price range, IMO i would buy a Rotel 1066 Pre-Pro new for about 1200 bucks then find a used Rotel (or new) 5 channel amp such as the RB 985 THX mk2 110x5 for about 600 in mint condition. you are way under 2 grand and IMO you will not find a reciever anywhere near that price point that will touch it.
    BTW there are good seperate tuners out there for a couple hundred bucks or you can get a Pre-Pro that has a tuner, if you are only going to use 5 channels its wide open, lots of great DD, DTS Pre-Pros at great prices.