Need suggestions for big (for me) purchase

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg_C, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Gregg_C

Gregg_C Extra

Due to the good year I had with my employer, I am going to gut my basement and build out my home office. And, more importantly, I am going to put in a brand-new HT system. Keep in mind that my budget is under $5,000 for everything.

I am thinking about the following:

Hitachi/Toshiba 50" (models please). Due to the space in my basement, anything bigger would be overwhelming. I think I would like 16:9 screen size.

Harman/Hardon AVR325 (or make a suggestion).

Axiom/JBL/Polk/Ascend speakers (or make a suggestion). Would like bookshelf style with rears that could be mounted up on wall or ceiling. Subwoofer needed as well (10 or 12 inch).

Going with the Panny CP72 for DVD. Anything better for the price?

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

Gregg

2. Gregg_C

Gregg_C Extra

bump... c'mon people help me out!

3. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

Gregg,

The world of home theater can be a frustrating one during the shopping/auditioning phase! I was overwhelmed by the number of choices, and spent many, many months listening, watching and listening again to various equipment combinations. It's a good feeling to finally decide on a component and move on to the next decision hurdle, so I would suggest sticking with your choice of a Panny DVD player.

For the rest of your system, here are some suggestions for products which have received many accolades, and would be excellent choices for your $5k budget.

Go with a Hitachi 51SWX20B for your television. This 50 inch RPTV is awesome and would be the centerpiece of your system. ($2600)

Next, Energy's Take 5.2 speaker system, which includes a subwoofer. This small satellite/sub combination has excellent sound at it's price point. Check out the reviews using Google as a search engine. ($700-$800)

For your receiver, I would suggest the Denon 3803 over any H&K. Your best bet for receivers is to stay with Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha, in my opinion. The Denon 3803 can be had for around $1000 and includes all of the latest processing modes. Excellent product!

The combination of the above components would keep you slightly under your $5000 budget and provide years of high quality entertainment, and make you the envy of friends and family owning the Bose Lifestyle systems!

Remember to get decent cabling with your purchase. You don't need the best cables, but you don't want to skimp here either.

Good luck with your shopping, and let everyone here know what you decide on and how much you enjoy it!

James R. Geib

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I have a Pavlovian response when anyone says "home theater" and "basement": front projector. You can get a real, immersive movie experience with a 100" screen, and there are several "budget" front projectors to choose from. Check out the AVS Forum for more info.
    If you go with a rear projector, I like Toshiba for their color fidelity. Mitsubishi has red push, Sony has blue push, Hitachi has a kind of lime green (reportedly, I haven't seen it), Panasonic you never know what you'll get out of the box...Toshiba just has the best color fidelity out of the box.
    Note that the color fidelity is my priority, not necessarily yours! People see color differently and you may prefer red push or blue push or whatever, and the Panasonic can give excellent color if you're willing to tweak it. I don't mean to imply that these other sets are "bad!"
    I have an HK receiver and it gives excellent sound. But, I don't know...it's just...weird to use, as if the designer were a total geek or something rather than a real-world user. Some all-in-one remote controls don't have the weird frequencies it uses for certain functions. All in all I'd say that it sounds great but isn't user-friendly. I'd get something else.
    Jan

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well here are my 2.5 cents, I personally have a set od PSB alpha INtro speakers, and I love them, they cost me about 900 canadian, so maybe 600 or so american. they are small, and the sound is amazing.
    as for a dvd player if you can find it the panny rp-82 is supposedly amazing, but you might want to consider going for a more expensive universal player, like the yamaha s2300, that way in 6 months you wont be thinking how you can work a sacd player into the mix.
    I dont really ahve much to say in the way of receivers, I know I am considering a Yamaha rx v1300 and it looks like a very sweet player.
    for the TV i would suggest the Toshiba as well, they ahve nice stretch modes and the color fidelity on my 36" toshiba is amazing, so i would imagine that it would be good on all of their tv's like Jan suggested.
    thats all i have to say on this topic [​IMG] but keep in mind its better to do things right the first time than to re-do them in a year or so..... I wish i had thought before i bought my first receiver, cause now i need to upgrade it [​IMG]