need suggestions for a sub driver (DIY project). Brahma?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Greg+S, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Greg+S

Greg+S Auditioning

Hey, im looking at building myself a 12" subwoofer for my home theatre room but i need some suggestions on drivers?.

what i want, is for this sub to carry some quality behind it, and be able to perform well in a theatre application. ie. fill a room with authority and go down to 20hz. im looking at the Brahma (mark III)... or a maelstrom? tumult would be perfect but the brahma is already pusing my budget.
    how about the tempests?
    (reason why im so clung onto the adires is because they are easy for me to get my hands on, and i hear good things)

perhaps you guys can throw out some suggestions for me to research.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

AFAIK there haven't been any Adire drivers available for many, many, months, unless someone had a driver stuffed away in a closet.

How big is the room you want to fill with authority?....:wink:

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

AE Speakers AV Series. Get 'em before they're out - they are making some improvements to the line, which are expected to be ready for early 2006 but as for now, you can still get the current generation AV series woofers for the $150 and $180 prices for the 12 and the 15 respectively.

Yes, AE Speakers is, in fact, shipping drivers. From what I hear, the last production of the AV woofers are all getting built up by hand and those that have been ordered will be shipped at the end of this week.

4. Greg+S

Greg+S Auditioning

13 x 25 x 8 (roughly). but i want to futureproof myself (for a much larger room), this room may not be permament. From what creativesoundsoulutions.ca told me, he is expecting the brahmas to be coming in around january (no promises).
    does "acoustic elegance" (Ae speakers) have a website?

Thank you

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
  6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

sorry, I should have mentioned it. I was tired and about to go to bed.

When you get to their web site, click on the "Store" link. AE Speakers is waiting until their new products are ready at the beginning of 2006 to put the content on the web site, but all the information you need is on the product page of the online store.

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Since the goal is to be future proof I suggest going with a pair of 15"s. Now that may sound a bit much, but more and more DVD's are being made with tons of infrasonic content that will bottom out smaller drivers when played at higher SPL. "Batman Returns" and "War of the Worlds" are two current examples that are killing smaller woofers.