Need suggestions for a Rear Projection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesCB, Feb 26, 2003.

1. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I'm wanting to upgrade my 27" Sony Trinitron to a big screen (43" to 50"). Where do I start? Anyone have a suggestion? There are so many choices. Is there a site to give me pointers on what to look for? So many questions, I know. If any one has any suggestions on what brand to start with (dependability, ,quality, price) please feel free to comment.

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    It would help if you provide details about your criteria and preferences. Things like budget/price range, viewing distance, roughly how you expect to use the TV, etc.

Different TV makers offer different feature sets and quality compromises across different display types. Accordingly, any one of the major makers might offer the "best" TV for you, but not necessarily for many other people.

For example, if you have budget constraints and don't care for stretching regular 4x3 TV viewing (or don't mind the subpar stretch mode) and don't watch too many non-16x9 letterboxed DVDs, then the Panny 47" might be best for you. Of course, some people do find the Panny's stretch mode to be just fine as well as its zoom mode for non-16x9 DVDs, but those are 2 areas where many other TVs will do better to varying degrees. The build quality is not great either, and the current Panny's don't offer DVI/HDCP input. But hey, what other 47" RPTV can be had for as low as $1200 right now (at BJ's recently)??

OTOH, you might also want to consider a 4x3 HDTV, instead of 16x9, if you don't like stretch modes and will watch lots of 4x3 content, including old classic films and TV shows, which will always be best viewed in the 4x3 ratio. Don't jump on the 16x9 bandwagon w/out considering the facts and what matters most to you. I suggest checking the recent 16x9 vs 4x3 TV debates/threads to learn more.

_Man_

PS: I would also recommend reading all the various recent threads on the same topic of TV shopping. Even if the thread turns out to involve TVs that are out of your price and/or size ranges, you can learn a lot about what YOU should look for in a TV. Unless you're looking at new, more expensive display technologies or front projection, most TV makers tend to streamline their CRT-based RPTVs to have about the same quality and feature set across their price/size ranges from around 42" to >=65". So most comments about a 57" RPTV will likely apply to its 50" sibling apart from the size issue.

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

_Man_

Thank you for your reply. Like I said, I'm just starting to look now. I will heed your advice and learn as much as I can before I come back with any more specific questions.

JamseCB