Need suggestion for new MOBO, please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, May 1, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'm ready to give up on my mobo and get another but I'm not sure who to look to for a stable athlon based mobo. I have mine which is an Abit (along with the 2 others I just built)- and all of them are a bit sketchy physically.

I have an EPOX for my HTPC, but it took me 3 different OS changes before it would not lose the NIC (and I still have audio drop out problems).

So is anyone making a decent Athlon Mobo, but because of my audio card it must be AMD 760 (762), VIA KX-133 or VIA KT-133 chipsets (cannot be AMD 750)-- I think 266/266a chipsets are fine as well?

I also have need for extra IDE controllers- does anyone know of Mobos that offer 4 controllers (the Abit has 2 and then 2 highpoint raid controllers which support extra IDE drives)---

Does anyone know if if the Microstar K7T266 Pro2-RU or Pro2-R Promise RAID controller can be used as regular extra IDEs for drives (support for ATAPI??)... Can I hook a CD drive to them??

-Vince

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

The raid connectors support HD's only. MSI makes some good boards. I've used them in my last three personal builds and all machines have been/were great. Many people are also fond of the Soyo Dragon+.

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Check AMD's site and make sure you get one that is on there recomended list. I have a Biostar M7MIA I got the oroginal version no RAID [​IMG]. But its a trooper. No problems with it. It has a 1200Mhz Thunderbird on it. Im not sure if that mobo will use the new XP+ series processors. The next thing im lookign at getting is a Dual MP ATI mobo and MP processor. Then get a new processor a fiew months later after the prices drop a bit.

4. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I like the Soyo Dragon Plus. Onboard 6 channel sound (good enough to replace most sound cards), onboard 10/100 Ethernet, and onboard RAID which you can use as an IDE controller for a total of 4 IDE ports.

There's also the Soyo Dragon Ultra which supports all of the above plus USB 2.0 for about $20 more.

5. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Be sure to check out the ECS/EliteGroups K7s5a (6a now?) board. I don't know if it has all the options you want, but for the price and speed and stability, few things can compare. Usually consumer goods are "price, performance, quality -- pick any two," but not with these. It's hard to find a bad word said about them.

6. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I have two older Asus motherboards.

My Athlon 950 uses an Aopen motherboard.

I'm satisfied.

It came with Norton 2002 but it only good for 90 days on the virus signatures.