need sudgestions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin Patterson, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Kevin Patterson

Kevin Patterson Stunt Coordinator

I am wanting to build a single speaker to put on my back pack i ned sudgestins on the speaker it needs to be very very efficient and if needed i will get a tweeter too. I also need a small light powerful amp any sudgestions on that? Also i need a battery will i have to have a car battery what other options are there? This doesnt have to sound amazing i just need something to listen to at lunch or when im out skateing.
    Kevin

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

This is a project you don't hear every day.

Hehe, a car battery would give you power although I don't know if it will play longer than a couple hours and whether you'd like lugging it around. I suppose you could get a deep cycle car battery (~$100) for power. Then a cheap ~$50 stereo car audio amplifier unless you decide to build a DIY chip amp or some pocket amp. You'd have to trickle charge the battery with maybe something that chargest the 12V battery at like 0.5amps.

There are 6V batteries that are like 1/4 the size of a car audio battery if you could get an amp to work with it. Or you could build yourself a battery pack using Sub-C cells using RC car parts if that's one of your hobbies. hehe

Then you'll need a small pair of speakers. You say it has to fit "IN" or "ON" a back pack which really limits the size. If you want just basic sound and little bass, I'd get a pair of full range 3" drivers in a small box like the Tag Band 3" W3-871s from http://www.nuera-acoustic.ca/products.html

Those are only $10ea and you don't even need a crossover.

If you want something better you could pay $140ea for Jordan JX92S which will basically be better than the Tag bands in every way.

Instead of MDF, I'd research and construct a fiberglass enclosure. I built a pair for my car and it's pretty strong while only like 1/4" thick. I used fiber glass reinforced bondo spread over a fiberglass cloth/resin kind of like spreading icing on a cake.

OR... you can go to your local electronics store and buy a plastic battery powered boom box and have decent portable sound and save a ton of money and troubles.

My gut feeling says get a boombox.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Thomas,

Maybe he should also use one of those bass shaker vests too? [​IMG]

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

You see, he wants to be able to play music when he skates with people and he wants everyone else to hear the music. It's the same concept when people drive and want everyone to hear their car stereos. [​IMG]

I think a nice solution would be to get some JBL self powered EONS which are simply pro audio monitors. Plug those in along with a CD player and you'll have music everyone can enjoy.

Too bad I can't afford the $1,500 for those, but they seem fairly light weight and portable. (Plus they sound pretty good cranked)

6. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

A car battery will definitely give you a workout.

A motorcycle or scooter battery is smaller... might be a little lighter.

Have you considered a gas powered generator? [​IMG]