need subwoofer!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by allan espinoza, Jul 16, 2002.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

i have a subwoofer that i bought from cambridge sound works for $299 that goes down to 35hz and wanted to replace it with something more powerful that goes below 35hz of course and well i need some ideas and info on a good sub that wont put a hole in my pocket. preferably under $500 bucks so any help will do. thanks

p.s. are cambride products any good? any info on them will be nice, thanks

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Build an Adire Tempest or Dayton DVC 15" based sub yourself. Nothing comercially available under $500 could touch one.

Use a proven enclosure volume and port size/tuning and all it will take is some basic woodworking skills.

3. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Do some reading on the Adire Rava, HSU VTF-2, SVS pci 25-30. They are in your range. Forget the cambridge.

4. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

thanks brian i look into those. any brands i should look for or avoid?

5. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

If $500 is your absolute limit then the Hsu VTF-2 may just fit the bill. You may want to talk to the guys over at www.acoustic-visions.com , however, and see what they could build for you in that price range. They build custom subwoofers to fit your needs, be it price or performance. I had them build my subwoofer using a downfiring Adire Shiva driver and it was worth every penny. Or you could save up a little bit longer and get an SVS. I think you will get the most bang for your buck by buying a Hsu or SVS online, but going to audition some at a store couldn't hurt either. Just make sure you get something that will rattle the furniture. [​IMG]

6. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

7. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

You might want to also check out:
    http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...ubwoofers.html
    I have the older model PF15TL that had a smaller amp than the 15TL+ amongst my suite of deftech speakers.
    The 15tl+ may be out of your range (note that dealers will often find a way to discount for you, but they cannot advertise that). But the Prosub series seems like it would work with your range. I love my 15tl, which makes my 22x26 room rock. I have not heard, or should I say felt, the Prosub series, but I can attest to the quality of deftech in general.
    Of course, all the recommendations and reading means squat unless you can go demo. So check deftech's site for a dealer near you.....

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    35Hz is really not low enough for HT. The Newton subs are quite good, but the others are just average and not very well priced for their performance. The SVS is shockingly good for the price.

9. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

i can attest to the svs line... very clean equipment.
    peter

10. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Allan

Go with SVS, go for the 25-31 PCi, but if you have an extra $50 and you have space in your room buy the 20-39 PCi, it can go as low as 20Hz and the 25-31 can go to 25.

I think SVS are great for the money. Great service also.

I just order mine, I cant wait to try it.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Dustin nailed it,

We generally spec the low end extension of our units based on the tuning points...although they can extend 1/6th to 1/3 octave lower in the typical room. Of course, it all depends on the methods used to measure the FR too.

Onecall.com has closeouts and *B* stocks on sale a lot,you might find a old Velo CT150 under $500 there.

TV

13. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Allan:

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the subs suggested to you. SV subs is having a summer sale going on now though so this would be the best time to pick one up if you are steering their way. I LOVE their PCi line. They also have a 45 return policy if you don't like it.

--Parker

14. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I also reccomend the SVS line, they're PC line is awsome! And you don't need more then one of these babies unless your room is huge and your a bass head.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll be happy with what ever you get.

Brian

15. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I also recommend an SVS sub. I just got a 20-39PCi and it's PLENTY for a large room. My living room is probably 25x20 with a vaulted cieling and connects to my dining room and kitchen, all open. After calibrating it, I've got my sub level from the reciever at -5db and the sub vloume a little over half way up, so there's plenty of head room to go up. Another thing to consider when buying a sub, or anything else for that matter, is support. From what I've read in these forums and from my own personal experience, SVS has top-notch, experienced and knowledgeble staff to support their products.

16. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Push your budget up to $650.00 USD and you could have a Mirage BPS-400. 12" woofer x 2 with Digital switching 400 watt rms amplifier.