Need Subwoofer Recommendation for Large Room

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RM Haney, Jul 11, 2004.

1. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

Hello All,

I recently moved into a new home and my home theater area is much larger than my previous one. My current room is 14,400 cu ft and I am looking for the bass I had in my previous room. I currently have an SVS 25-31 PCi which was more than adequate before I moved. Now, it is having trouble. I am thinking of upgrading to dual SVS PB2-Plus or dual PB2-ISD. I have also read a few nice things about the new Outlaw subs as well but do not know how they compare to the SVS models. A good friend of mine has dual RSW-15 Klipsch subs and swears by them. If anybody has any recommendations, my ears are wide open. My budget is in the neighborhood of $2,000. I can probably EBAY the 25-31 PCi to offset some of the cost of the new sub so I may be able to go a few bucks higher. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, does anybody know of any problems with subs mounted high off of the floor. I am in the process of having an entertainment center built and the subs will be located above my Klipsch RF-7's (about 5' off of the floor).

Thanks,
    Mike

2. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

Here is the entertainment center. The subs are located above the front mains.

Mike

[​IMG]

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

That's a huge room to fill. Based on your budget, I think the dual PB2-ISD would be the way to go. The PB-2+'s would definitely exceed your budget.

The RSW-15 is a good sub as well but I definitely prefer the SVS. A friend of mine has a 20-39PC and a RSW-15 colocated in the same system. We did some testing and both preferred the 20-39. We both feel that it is a more accurate sub. He actually in the process of replacing it with a PB-2+ after hearing mine.

4. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

Thanks for the rapid response. That is the direction I was leaning but was looking for more opinions. For some reason my picture is not showing up. It was there initially but now it has vanished.

Mike

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The LFM-1 is a performance clone of the STF-3. Both are comparable in performance to the PB1-ISD. The SVS has an edge in extension and clean output in the 20-25 Hz region, but above that it's very close.

Any of the PB2 SV subs would be a big step up in performance over the LFM-1/STF-3/PB1-ISD. If you can sell the 25-31 on e-Bay and make the stretch to dual PB2+, that would definitely be the best performance value in that gigantic room.

6. Robert M H

Robert M H Auditioning

Hi Mike,
    Can you try posting a picture of your HT room again? I'd love to see it!

Robert