Need Sub Suggestions for Walk-In Closet

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tom Tubbiola, May 11, 2004.

1. Tom Tubbiola

Tom Tubbiola Stunt Coordinator

Here's the scoop,

Master bedroom with a 5.1 set up. The main and surround speakers have just been installed in the ceiling. Using the Jamo contractor's series, new Sony 50" Plasma, Denon 3805, DTV HDTivo, Roku HD1000, DVD Player.

The system will be used 1/2 and 1/2 music and HT.

What I need are ideas of what powered sub to get. It will be placed inside of a large walk-in closet with one wall adjoining the main bedroom area. Looking in the $500 - $600 range. Want something that will give good performance (SVS-like).

I'm also worried that placing the sub in another room (basically) will degrade the sound too much. Has anyone here done this before? Anyone have any speculation on sound quality?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Tom Tubbiola

I made a quick drawing of the setup.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to a PDF .

3. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

you might want to include dimensions...

4. Tom Tubbiola

Good idea, I'll add measurements as soon as I can find my tape measure.

For reference the bed is a California King and the drawing seems to be fairly well in proportion. It's a pretty big bedroom.

I haven't mentioned the 2nd zone with a small LCD screen in the bathroom yet. 2 channel only though.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Since it looks like you'll end up cutting the walk-in closet in some form or fashion to get this to work, I'd seriously consider an infinite baffle subwoofer. Hands down, this would give you the "best bang for the buck" performance for your setup.

6. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

Wow, Dolby Digital Bed. Is that licensed? That's hardcore!

I agree about the infinite baffle. Seems like the sub in the closet would definitely muffle some of the focus that you'd normally hear from a good sub.

Have you considered perhaps getting some kind of nightstand that has a space under it and putting a smaller sized sub under it...maybe with a tablecloth over it to hide the sub? Also, you should definitely consider hooking your alarm clock up to some kind of LFE sweep! [​IMG]

brad cook

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

A PB2-Ultra with a beautiful wood finish would make a great looking nightstand without a tablecloth. It'd probably be almost exactly the right height too.

8. Tom Tubbiola

True, however then I would need 2 of them because you have to have matching nightstands. Also, I think my clock radio would explode. [​IMG]

The Infinite Baffle idea is interesting, hell maybe I could have a box built behind the wall and port it directly into the room. Hmmmm. . . .