need sub advice and onkyo advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I just bought my first home theater system. I have a velodyne 10" sub to go with it. I wanted to know a few things. I bought a rs spl meter and leveled all my speakers at 85db as instructed here. I made the sub +3 db over the speakers. Maybe it is me but I have very little bass. actually I had to turn down the sub volume to about 1/3 to get to this level. I just have very little of the bass that you feel. You know that good stuff we all like. I tried the phase adjustment and did not notice much. I moved the sub and that did not help a whole lot. I currently have it hooked up to a onkyo 595 reciever. The crossover on the sub is set to 120. I think the crossover on the reviever is 80hz but not sure. I can not find literature on it to state that. How much of a difference would I see going to a velodyne 12" or 15". Woould that help? How much better would a SVS be? I could really only afford the Model 25-31PC. That would be a strech but heck the Model 20-39PC is not that much more. How much better would one of these be than what i have or compared to a 15" velodyne? That would be a better comparison because they are similar in price. I like the cc deal with 12 months no interest.

My second question is how much better off would I be going with a better onkyo reciever? I only have polk rt25i and rt5 speakers so they are not that large. Thanks for all of your time. I really appreciate it

2. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

Brian, check your sub level in the receiver. It may be down and therefore you need to increase the volume on the sub to make up for it. S&V mag often reports on distortion when cranking the receivers sub output to max and they often recommend setting the subwoofer's control to max and then back off with the receivers level control.

Or maybe you are looking for that first octave bass inwhich you need to look into the bigger woofers. Check your level adjustments and see if that satisfies you.

3. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately i can only go -12 on the sub in the reciever. With this in mind I would never be able to get the sub down to the appropriate levels.