1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Need stereo recommendation.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Garrett Lundy, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

As much as I desire a McIntosh MA2275 tube integrated amp ($6100), MA6900 SS integrated ($4900), NAD C370 ($1200), or even a Denon PMA2000 ($1000) my budget is a lowly $500 [​IMG]

Since FM is pretty much not a selling point to me, I don't need a tuner and thus have been looking at some integrated amps. But with just $500 (I do have speakers to buy too ) I feel I might be left with stereo receivers.

Any suggestions where to spend my cash?

For consideration: Speakers Axiom M3Ti, Subwoofer SVS PCi. room size 11 x 12.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

If you dont mind going the tubed route then there are plenty of used integrateds on A'gon from Anthem, SF, Antique Sound, Jolida that will fit your bill and lead to years of musical enjoyment.

3. Nick Laho

Nick Laho Extra

Nad C370 is $1200 retail? I got mine from DMC electronics for about $450.(If I remember correctly) It was a refurb but is 100% like new. I don't think they have them any more(C370), but they do have the C320BEE and one of their mid line cd players in a package together. That would be a fantastic combo.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

beside Audio Classics (www.audioclassics.com) which is located just up the road an hour or two, what are some sources for slightly used equipment I might be able to get some smokin deals. As much as I distrust Ebay for expensive transactions I might consider if I don't many options.

5. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

How about a Rotel RA-02/01 (01 does not include a remote), Ive seen them on Audiogon and Ebay for $300-$350. A very slick and modern looking unit that sounds great for all types of music. The only weakness might be its laid back sound.. actually not a weakness.. just not enough kick for me. [​IMG] (I like an over emphasis on midrange and bass). Theres a review on Hifi Choice, do a search for Rotel RA-02, cant post a link on the site ATM. Or another option could be a Marantz PM7000 for about $300 if you can find it. Ive owned both units and I like the Rotel better.

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The Arcam integrates are wonderful pieces too. And as much of a Rotel fan as I am, the Arcams are quite nice too. Now if only they made a budget line of amplifiers only.

7. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

8. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

My friend in NJ might be selling his Yamaha AX-596 100x2 int amp (for less than $300?) if you're interested.

9. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

Well, if you would of asked 1 month ago I could have told you where you could get a NAD c370 for $500 authorized, but they are out of stock now.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/ does have the nad c270 for $370+shipping. For that much you could probably troll ebay or audiogon for the c160 preamp for a while. Yawaonline.com might have some nad c160 preamps left also.

Edit:
    http://www.northamptonaudio.com/nad/C370.asp
    Nad c370 $499 but has a blemesed carton.

FWIW, NAD c270 + c160 = better than Nad c370. I own a c370 and love it.

You may want to contact saturday audio about the c372. It was under $800 when I bought my c370.

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Update:

Ok I was wrong. the $1200 was for a NAD C162/C272 combo. The C370 has an SRP of around $699. I was quoting the incorrect view.

A new store opened in town and Suprise!, they sell NAD gear! and PSB speakers. And with a grand-opening sale they're offering me 10% off the C370 (or about $630) and 30% off any PSB speakers.

Now I have to hurry and check all the reviews of PSB speakers against Axiom (which I was planning on buying) and the regular gang of low-cost internet speakers (axiom, swan, onix, ascend).

PS: NAD stands for "New Acoustic Dimension" according to the salesperson. Now I know that I've been saying it wrong. Its "N-A-D" not "nad". Man I musta sounded stupid. :b

11. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Thanks for the heads up. I also thought it was the latter pronunciation.

That could be especially mortifying if shopping for the pre-amp/amp combo.

One would have to say they were looking for some NAD's[​IMG]

12. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

a lot of people who know the acronym for NAD still call it NAD (like myself)

just an fyi, lenbrook owns both nad and psb...www.lenbrook.com

also, as speakers are really important, dont go by reviews, go by your ears...you really need to demo them...

btw you can get a blemished cartoon C370 for $500 here:

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm

they also carry cambridge audio

Rich

13. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

also you should check out:

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/news.html

i heard hte khartago, the bookshelves, and the etesian all together and they were pretty impressive...one of the online sites raved, might have been 6mooons...

anyway, the etesian is $275, if you buy an NAD 2 channel poweramp for about $300, you just got yourself separates [​IMG]

Rich

14. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

UPDATE.

The grand opening/moving sale proved to be too much of an incentive to dust off the old credit report and get some good gear.

My new stereo system (my first "real" system that isn't a portable radio or tabletop all-in-one) contains the following:

NAD C370 Integrated Amp. Their floormodel stereo amp, and the last of the 370's (before the 372 roll in). Its been demo'd but I still have the full 2year warranty. $629

NAD C521i CD player. I wasn't able to tell a large enough, if any, difference between this 'entry level' and the next up CD player. $269

PSB Image 1B bookshelfs. 30% off any speaker. The only PSB 'shelf speakers (figured I didn't need towers because I'll use a subwoofer) they had were the Alpha mini, the 1B, and the 2B (The last of the stock before the new models arrive). The 1B was a step-up from the mini, but I was suprised it sounded better than the more expensive 2B! $210

JVC 200-watt subwoofer. Yes, the POS I have leftover from my 5.1 system I replaced with a SVS PCi. This will have to do until I can afford a better subwoofer.

But by the time I left the store RadioShack had closed! I don't have any speaker wire or interconnects for my new system!! Oh well, the amp is already broken in..so I'll just have to put some time on my new PSB speakers hooked-upto my 5.1 reciever!

Hurray! I am now an entry-level audiophyte! [​IMG]

15. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

UPDATE.

The grand opening/moving sale proved to be too much of an incentive to dust off the old credit report and get some good gear.

My new stereo system (my first "real" system that isn't a portable radio or tabletop all-in-one) contains the following:

NAD C370 Integrated Amp. Their floormodel stereo amp, and the last of the 370's (before the 372 roll in). Its been demo'd but I still have the full 2year warranty. $629

NAD C521i CD player. I wasn't able to tell a large enough, if any, difference between this 'entry level' and the next up CD player. $269

PSB Image 1B bookshelfs. 30% off any speaker. The only PSB 'shelf speakers (figured I didn't need towers because I'll use a subwoofer) they had were the Alpha mini, the 1B, and the 2B (The last of the stock before the new models arrive). The 1B was a step-up from the mini, but I was suprised it sounded better than the more expensive 2B! $210

JVC 200-watt subwoofer. Yes, the POS I have leftover from my 5.1 system I replaced with a SVS PCi. This will have to do until I can afford a better subwoofer.

But by the time I left the store RadioShack had closed! I don't have any speaker wire or interconnects for my new system!! Oh well, the amp is already broken in..so I'll just have to put some time on my new PSB speakers hooked-upto my 5.1 reciever!

Hurray! I am now an entry-level audiophyte! [​IMG]

16. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

IMO, you spent too much on the int amp and not enough on the speakers. I would have switched the dollars: 250 on the int amp (especially used @ 40+ % off, 10% off is not acceptable in Ricky's Rules) and 650 on the speakers. $250 retail speakers will always be...$250 speakers....

17. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

IMO, you spent too much on the int amp and not enough on the speakers. I would have switched the dollars: 250 on the int amp (especially used @ 40+ % off, 10% off is not acceptable in Ricky's Rules) and 650 on the speakers. $250 retail speakers will always be...$250 speakers....

18. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Buzzkill [​IMG]

19. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Buzzkill [​IMG]