Need speakers? Which? Here is my problem!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Kelly

Kelly Extra

I have a HT that I now hate after listening to others. I have Carver Pro logic receiver and Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers. I know that I need to update the receiver and thinking of buying the Denon 3802. Here is my problem. I think that I am missing something when listening to my HT but I just can't put my finger on what it is. I do not think it is my receiver. I think it is the Bose. I feel as though I have to crank it to hear everything and to hear clearly and when I do, it is too loud and overwhelms the rest of the house. Example, the voices (center channel) are often hard to hear so when I turn up, everything else seems too loud. I have balanced the sound from the speakers with a sound meter. My house does not have a place for a dedicated HT room so right now I am setup in the family room (14x24). I cannot turn up as loud as I would like to most of the time so I would like to hear everything with clarity without having to crank it. I do want something however that can stand to be turned up when I have the rare occasion to do so or when turning up music. I have thought of buying powered towers (Def tech) and others, but wondering with my situation, is it a waste because of the lack of opportunity that I have to take advantage of what they have to offer. Are there speakers out there that can deliver great sound for less money that can also be cranked without distortion, damage, etc and still offer great sound? Or can this really be a receiver issue? Any advice is appreciated!

2. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I haven't personally heard the Bose speakers, but based on all the opinions I have read, they are almost certainly the culprit.
    You could eliminate the receiver as the problem by taking- it to a friend's house and connecting his or her speakers to your receiver.
    As for the speakers, I'm afraid there's no free lunch. I don't see how speakers that small could properly reproduce anything below the middle of the frequency of a typical midrange. There is a reason why no other manufacturers use tiny spekaers like Bose - it just doesn't work as well.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor