Need speakers... What to get. Please read!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joe Zemaitis, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Joe Zemaitis

Joe Zemaitis Stunt Coordinator

Hello! I'm new, so excuse the ignorance a head of time! I just purchased a Denon 1801 from a fellow HTF member. Its a 70 watt. I'm looking for something inexpensive but sounds good. I was looking at the Bose system that was setup at Best Buy and it sounded amazing. I know with Bose you're paying for the name mostly. I'm looking for just the 5 main speakers... I don't think I need a sub yet... unless its a good deal. What brand do you suggest? Speaker size isn't too big of a deal if that helps. I've noticed alot of people have larger front speakers then rear... but figuring the receiver has the wattage equaly distributed, should I get speakers that are all the same size?

Thanks!
    Joe

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No it didn't.

What is your pricerange? There are lots of great packages, and speakers you can buy that will do much much better for the same or less money. You should definitely get a subwoofer. Don't even think of not getting one. BTW, the "bass module" of a bose system should not be called a subwoofer.

A great way to save funds and get the best possible system for X amount of $$ is to get the best speakers you can for in front, and then smaller matched speakers for the rears, or even not-totall matched, but similar speakers for the rears.

Matching is important, but not a strict rule, especially if you are big on music and it means hacking back the quality of your mains to get the same speakers all around.

I am a big big fan of Paradigm for beginner setups, not only because they are an amazing value and deliver excellent sound, but because they aren't sold in chains, and get you out of the generally pretty crappy BB/CC/GG type big-box stores. Not to say specialty dealers are always great, but usually even the mediocre ones are way better than best buy. Find a dealer, and audition some with a variety of music carefully, and do this with as many speakers you can find in your pricerange, and you will find what's right for you.

3. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

Joe,
    I don't think you will find too much love for Bose on this site. To help others give you feedback, you may want to provide some additional info.

Size of Room?
    Budget?
    How much HT and how much music?

Also, if you plan on HT, most will suggest you go for a sub. I'm sure you will get some good feedback, but there is no replacement for listening to speakers. Everyone has their favorites and there are a lot of good speakers out there.

4. Joe Zemaitis

The room is 12 feet wide and 16 feet long. I just purchased an infocus X1 projecting an 84inch diag picture. I watch several movies a week, and listen to no music. I also watch some TV. My budget is around $400 bucks. I'm just worried that since my HT is downstairs, the ceiling tiles will viberate when the sub goes off... I had this problem a few years ago when I tried that... But I think the sub was up way too high.

Joe

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

What bose setup was under $400?!? Anyway, check out the Klipsch Quintets (also at BB). They are under $400 and, in my opinion, much better than the bose.

6. Joe Zemaitis

The bose wasn't under 400. I was just saying they sounded great :) And if I wanted, I'm sure I could find a good deal on Ebay, but if these other ones at BB are good or as good, then I'll be happy.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Joe

7. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Check out your local Fry's or CC, Polk came out with new models and the older lineup is on clearance. I got Polk RTi70 main speakers for $238 a pair from CC and a friend of mine got RTi100 for $308 a pair from Fry's. I would get the 70's if you can find them, absolute steal for that price.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Joe,

Putting aside some of the negative feelings that most of us have towards Bose, what really matters in the end is how good the system will sound to YOU. After all, you are the one who will be using it day in and day out. Just buy what seems right to you.

Besides, most people have very different options. Heck, just posting this thread reveals about 5 different opions on what to get. Plus, I could toss my opinion out there to make it 6, but I wont. It just matters to get what is important to you.

9. Joe Zemaitis

Hmmm... i saw Best Buy has them for sale this week... But I see no price at all. Hm. AH! So, should I get a sub too, or is that something that could wait you think? Also, what sub would work well?

Thanks
    Joe

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Usually, if they are on the Best Buy site and you don't see a price, you have to add the item to your shopping cart to see their sale price. Once you have reviewed the price, you can then delete the item from your shopping cart.

11. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Best Buy has the JBL NSP-1 package on sale for a measly $200. If I were on a tight budget, I would definately go for these. Heck, I would pick these over the Bose products [​IMG]

Best Buy

12. Joe Zemaitis

Hmm... So, you think the JBL's will sound good? Its a fairly large room... the sitting area is about 14x12. 14 feet from the projection screen. The rest of the room is a game room. I just don't want to get them, and get poor quality, or a tinny sound... Yeah know? Like... to small of speakers for the room. If you think they'll sound alright, I'll go get them! What about a sub? How much difference will this make. My only concern is... a few years ago, I got a 150w powered sub... I loved it, but it viberated my ceiling tiles... I ended up returning it. I'm sure I had it up way too loud. I was pushing it way too much. I wonder if its turned down, if it will sound good. What should I get in the way of a sub? I dont; require ground pounding special effects.
    Thanks!

Joe

13. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I love my JBL's and I think that the N24II's (4" woofer) would do at good job for your 70w AVR . You can get a pair of them at best buy for $90 shipped or just pick them up at the store. As for the center channel you may have to look around online or at some best buys for the matching N center. I dont know about getting three pairs and using one as a center because I have never tried. You can always go buy 1 pair and set them up and see if they are powerful enough and if not they make great surrounds, and the N26II (6" woofer) are only $130 and should easily meet your needs. Your local sears might have a Sony wm-500 (150w, 12") sub that is great if you stuff some poly-fil in it, only $120. So mabey you would look into JBL, they are very cheap and preform very good. The one downside to the 24's is the plastic case that some people compain about but I have never had any problem with.

14. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I have my secondary system set up in a room almost the same size as yours. I have the Harman Kardon HKTS6 sat/sub system (retailed at 399$, probably available on web for less, or you can go with the 7s). They are quite small, and for me are not especially nice for critical music listening, but for movies I consider them a great "bang for the buck". I auditioned them along with a Bose Acoustimass system that cost three times as much and found the HKs not only a better value because of cost but just better period. They are not audiophile quality by any definition, but, in your price point, they are a reasonable alternative. I'm not familiar with the other suggestions above, but I would at least include the HKs in your audition.

As to the sub issue, turning mine down (I have it set at about 1/4 volume output) still gives me decent bass w/o knocking anything off the shelves.

Good luck.

P.S. I had them mated with a Denon AVR1600 and they worked well (recently upgraded my receiver, but that's another story).

15. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

For some cheap speakers, the JBL NSP1s above are always well recommended.

For those on an ultratight budget (like you), try checking out the AV-HTB 5 speaker setup @ www.fluance.com.
    They are internet only speakers but receive very good reviews for the money ($199 + shipping). Then try to find a decent subwoofer (My Sony WM20 I got scratch-n-dent is barely OK, but I hear the WM40 is a good cheap sub).

I have my Fluance paired with an Onyko TX-SR601 receiver and an X1.

I am happy with my Fluance AV-HTB. Excellent speakers for the money. Try doing a search on the forum for "fluance" to read some comments.

If you had more money, better speakers would be better, but the fluance are great for a budget setup. I'll admit I listened to some Paradigm bookshelves, which sounded awesome, but out of my pricerange at this point. When I do an upgrade, probably to some fairly expensive Paradigms and an SVS sub.

And once you hear some decent speakers for a while, you'll start to hear the flaws in Bose (the Bose in my Grand Prix GTP sound icky unless it's midrange-only music. Highs like electric guitars & clarinets are very tinny at any normal volume level).

16. Joe Zemaitis

Ok... I'm now clueless. I'd perfer to buy the speakers in a store at a good price... But if you think those online speakers will rock, then maybe I should go that route.