Need speakers-PSB Image 5T vs. Polk RT800?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MTrotter, Nov 24, 2001.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    I suppose these can be had for roughly the same price. PSB is supposed to be quasi-high end, but I also hear the Polk RT series is very good also. The PSB is supposed to go lower in the bass, but more importantly, what about the quality of the bass, as well as the rest of the spectrum? What about dynamics?

2. Rob Braden

Rob Braden Auditioning

I haven't auditioned the Polks, but I own the PSB Image 6Ts and auditioned the 4Ts. The shop I was in didn't have the 5Ts for me to try out. I went with the 6Ts because thay had a bit more low-end extension. The bass on the 6Ts is tight and natural - not as deep as my SVS, but hey... [​IMG] Good dynamics too.
    For the price, I can't recommend them highly enough. Audition both speakers on the same system if possible and pick the ones that sound the best to you.
    Take care!
    Rob

3. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The imaging & clarity of the PSB Image line is second to none imo. Great speakers, very articulate...course i went with Stratus Silveri 's with the C6i center (all in high gloss black piano finish....beautiful).
    I did go with Image 10S surround's. [​IMG]
    - Chip

4. Kevin Peak

Kevin Peak Agent

Kev
    MTrotter,

I have a pair of the Image 5T's and have been completely, utterly satisfied with them, i don't think you could go wrong with a pair of these. I unfortunately didn't audition the Polks, but i did audition it against a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 5i and a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7. I eventually decided on PSB because I really loved the sound of the speaker playing music even though the rest of my system is Paradigm Monitor (MiniMonitors in rear and CC-350 Center). While i lack the audio rhetoric to describe the sound of these speakers in words, i will say that the PSB had nearly the same quality of 'readability' in the musical instruments coming out of them as Silver 5i's but also extended considerable deeper in frequency while still sounding acceptable to me. I felt this important to me because of my current music taste. Good luck, and all i can say is audition audition audition and be happy with your choice. That is the most important characterisitc in a speaker, is if you like it.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I also have a pair of 6T's. I love them. Very clean and efficient and clean low-end bass.

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i heard those PSB floorstanders in a run-down shop and they sounded excellent. better than my friend's Polks IMO. it's all up to your ears though! [​IMG]
    btw- PSB also makes a beautiful looking speaker!

7. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I have the 800's and like them...but its up to what you hear. Just to let ya know... In the CC flyer....the 800's are now 299 a speaker... you'd save 200 on a pair..just food for thought...
    thomas a.[​IMG]