Need speakers for HK 525, help!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Willy_P, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Willy_P

Willy_P Extra

Ok, since others have been chuckling at my current Infinity and Cambridge SW speakers I've decided that if I can make it my xmas gift I'll try to upgrade. Short on time though if I want to get them here for xmas.

My room is 15x11, and use the system pretty equally for games, movies, music and tv.

People tell me my HK is mello, so ideally I should get speakers on the bright side. Problem there is I really have no idea which speakers are bright.

For now, I figure I'll just upgrade the center and fronts. I'll use my Infinity's for the surrounds until I get some more cash. Budget for fronts and center about $550.

I've been looking at the following Axioms:

M3ti or M2ti Fronts
    VP100 or VP50 Center

That combo comes in at $495 max, which seems decent, but was wondering what everyone here thinks? Can I do better? Which of those Axioms would be the best choice when used together?

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I might just stick with infinity's for fronts too if you can shell out the cash for them. It will probably sound a little bit better and not sound "out of phase" with the surrounds. Try to see if you can find something matching those surrounds.

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Just because your receiver is considered warm doesn't mean that you need to buy bright speakers. It is all about what sounds good to you.

Which Infinity and CSW speakers do you have? Which are presently surrounds and which are the fronts?

I'd also check out Ascend Acoustics( www.ascendacoustics.com ). There are a number of Ascend owners with the 525 that participate on www.ascendforum.com that you can ask any questions about pairing the two.

If you are planning to upgrade all your speakers. I wouldn't worry too much about the possible temporary surround to front timbre mis-match. I would consider matching as important to your final goal especially if your want to start exploring surround music formats like, DVD-A and SACD.

4. Willy_P

Willy_P Extra

5. Willy_P

Willy_P Extra

aaargh!! now, I'm really confused. the *cheapest* best sounding way to solve this now I think is to get the CS Tower II's, which is really contrary to other advice I have recieved about CS, but it seems that at $449 a pair on sale I can't really go wrong...can I? I found they got a lot of good reviews at $1000 per pair and they are supposedly the perfect match for my center.

6. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

7. Willy_P

Willy_P Extra

> If you like it, stick with it

That's the thing, I don't like it much. Each speaker is pretty decent in their own right, but I think the mix is really bringing the overall sound down. Plus, it's a lot better than letting the wife pick my xmas gift herself [​IMG]

Looking at Axiom, Aperion, and Rockets now and am completely confused...

8. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

9. Willy_P

Willy_P Extra

any opinions on Aperion vs. Axiom? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with one of those brands, but was really wondering what you all thought of either of them with my HK. thanks!

10. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

If you like the sound of H/K, you'll like it no matter what speakers you add. If your looking to "match" speakers to each other, that's one thing, but an 525 can handle anything in your budget and make it sound good.