Need speakers 500-800 what do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WillPec, Dec 12, 2001.

1. WillPec

WillPec Extra

I am in need of a completet set. I saw the review of the JBL and I am tempted are there any better? I can spend bout 200-400 more if it it is significant.

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Will,

the general consensus will be for you too try to audition as many speakers as you can. the overall sound of speakers can be rather subjective..so what I would buy, may sound sort of poor to you. For a 6 channel HT setup in the $1000 range, I'd probably get 4 Klispch bookshelf units myself...a decent Klipsch center channel and try to find a HSU VTF-2 in the $399 range for the woof. If I couldn't find the HSU

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Assuming $1,200 max budget:

I'd go with the wood nOrh 4.0 package and an Adire Audio Rava. IMO that package offers tremendous bang for the buck and you will be satisfied for years to come.

4. Barrett

Barrett Auditioning

You can get ~$800 satellite-and-subwoofer speaker packages from many respected speaker manufacturers. Energy (Take 5.2), Mirage (AVS-500), Sound Dynamics (CINE-Series), Paradigm (System One), and PSB (mix & match from the Alpha series) all come to mind. For a little more -- $999 -- you could look at Definitive Technology's ProCinema 80 system, which got a lot of rave reviews when it came out about 2 years ago. Or you could try the Atlantic Technology System T70 for the same price. (These are all list prices and may be available for much less on the street.) I lived happily with the Mirage AVS-500 system for two years before upgrading my front speakers to Monitor Audio Silvers -- and in fact, I'm still using the AVS satellites as surrounds. All of these systems will astound you with their smooth, full, detailed sound -- much better than anything you could find at Best Buy, for example. But as Tom said, your best bet is to audition as many systems in your price range as possible, and let your ears be the final judge of sound quality. Good luck!