Need speaker wire help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Littrell, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Mike Littrell

I am having ceramic tile installed in our house, and have been wondering if it's ok to run speaker wire under it. I have no way to run my surrounds through the attic, so this seems like the only way. Has anyone done this? What are some other possibilities to get my surrounds hooked up?
    Thanks, Mike

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I see no reason why it wouldn’t work, as long as the tile people can deal with the leveling situation.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Can you run it where the wall meets the floor before the baseboards go back on?

4. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

I would highly doubt that you could run it under tile. Any differential elevations in the floor below the tile causes cracking. Do you have a crawl space you can run it through?

CJ

5. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    I also would aviod running wire under tile. The tile contractors should be able to deal with it (doubt they'll be happy), but you could have problems down the road if you crack a tile or if you need to rewire or reposition the wire. You are better off running wire behind molding or under the subfloor. You should be able to get under the subfloor before the tiling begins.

6. Erik*R

Erik*R Agent

you can run semi thin wire under tile.. the bonding agent should be able to handle it. Thicker wire would be a problem. Id do what the others have said about the baseboards.. OR if absolutely necessary put the wire under the edge tile at the edge of the wall.