need speaker stands for rears..but they are bookshelf speakers..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_vega, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

hey guys..I am looking to get some rear speaker stands for my vega LS6 speakers..they're quite heavy and are a bookshelf speaker..I don't know what height I should use them at..but i'm thinking 36" or so? they will be behind our couch, and I would like them at optimal height..i know ear level is where you want the tweeter to sit..these stands also need to be affordable and sturdy..i'm looking to spend around 100 bucks for them..any help is appreciated..

ps..how far back should they be behind the couch?

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi dave -

i bought some relatively inexpensive (and sturdy) stands from circuit city. they're made by chicago and hold my polk speakers with no problem. i think they cost about 50 bucks. they come in various heights, but are not adjustable.

regarding speaker placement, you'll need to experiment and find what works best for you. typically the farther back your speaker the more diffused the sound will be. check out this dolby.com article on speaker placement for more info.

you're correct that you should get the tweeter around ear level, but for a rear speaker it's probably not quite as important as it is for front speakers.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

According to the Dolby article, you want the surrounds about 2-4 feet above ear level, not AT ear level. 36" stands + the height of the speakers themselves will probably put you right in this range, but experimentation is still best.

That said, you may want to look at the medium mass speaker stands from Parts Express. They're much heavier than the MDF/Particle Board stands you'll find at most big box stores, include spiked feet for carpet, and are around $60 a pair.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

thanx for the replies guys..I was actually looking into the Sanus stands..they come in a 31" variety, and i'm pretty sure are the ones from parts express..they sell em for 42$ on ebay..I measured my couch and at 31" the woofer is going to be mostly below the top part of the couch..the tweeter will be above though..I'm guessing I should look for taller stands..anyways thanx for the article..i will give it a read