Need Speaker Recommendations for HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Maag, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Jonathan Maag

Jonathan Maag Auditioning

Hi All--

First time poster so please bear with me...

I am in the pre-construction phase of my home theater and am trying to decide on which speakers to use. (I need to spec. them in advance as the fronts and center will be installed in a wall unit, around the screen.)

The room is ~25' x 18' with the fronts along the 18' side. The ceiling height is ~8.5'. As you face the screen, the 25' wall on the left has an ~12' opening in it, starting at the front of the room.

Originally I had chosen the Atlantic Technology 270THX package but the literature indicates that they are meant for room sizes between 2000 and 3000 cu. ft. (my room is ~3500 cu. ft.) Now I am considering Klipsch (RB-5 II, RC-3 II, RS-3 II, RSW-10) or Cambridge (Newton MC500, MC300, S300, P1000).

I would appreciate any comments on any of the above mentioned systems (including AT) as well as any other suggestions. Note that my budget is ~$2500 and that I will be using the speakers for primarily video, not music.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hellow and welcome to the HTF Jonathan. Not to confuse you anymore but I can wholeheartedly recommend the PSB line of speakers to your list also. They are right up there with Paradigm and the price-performance ratio is excellent. Here is their site PSB Speakers. For your size of room (and budget) I would look at perhaps their image 5T (front), 9C (centre), 2B (surround). If you are looking to get a PSB sub to match, check out the subsonic 6, otherwise, you can try the SVS line of subs also. SVS

3. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

Jonathan,

If your interested in Atlantic Technology and are concerned about the room size I see Onecall.com has the larger Atlantic Technology 350THX System Black Option 4 Theater system single subwoofer with no pedestals on their front page listed at $1799.56? I'm not to familiar with Atlantic Technology, so I'm not sure if that's what your looking for?

I have Klipsch myself, but Neil's suggestion of PSB's is good as well it really depends on what you like. Each speaker has it's own type of sound, so finding the one you like is the hard part. Good luck!