What's new

Need Speaker Help Purdy Please! (1 Viewer)

BrianDiP

Grip
Hi folks,

Here's my situation. I believe that I will be purchasing the HK AVR-520 from jandr.com. Today at lunch I went around to listen to some speakers. First, I went to Bestbuy to try out the JBL Speakers I hear so much about. I was planning on the studio series with the S312 towers up front. I don't know if it was the way they had them set up there at Bestbuy, but they sounded aweful. The Yamaha towers next to them sounded a lot better and were less than half the price. So I went elsewhere to just listen to some. I went down the street to Good Guys and listened to I believe it was their Synergy Series (SF2 towers) and the Energy series(c-5 towers) and they both sounded wonderful. Here are my questions if anyone can humor me. First, I'm sure that the JBL towers aren't as bad as they came off toward me. After all, the towers cost more than the klipsch or energy ones that I liked so much. Are they even comparable, or are the klipsch and energy speakers that much better than the JBL studios? Also, are there any authorized online dealers that have good prices for Energy or Klipsch like jandr.com for JBL/Harmon, etc? I'll probably think of more soon, but we'll start off with that. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

--Brian

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I wouldn't look at Klipsch synergy. Klipsch Ref. on the other hand is awsome. Much better then the JBL. I have not heard any energy speakers.

Klipsch sounds great with HK. The 520 is a very nice reciever.

I have Klipsch RF3II's on a 2802.

BrianDiP

Grip
Ok, I have done some more research and here is what I believe I'm down to...unless I get other suggestions of course :). I just wanted to get some opinions on these setups and the order I will be doing them in. First off, let me preceed this by telling you all I am a poor college student and price is a factor. That is why I wish to do this in steps. First, I plan on getting the HK AVR-520 receiver. It seems to be a good choice for $500.00. Next, onto speakers. I want to purchase two towers + center channel at the same time first. I am looking at the Axiom M60ti's from the Axiom outlet. They run $640/pair. For the Center, I am looking at the Axiom vp150 which runs $350 shipped from Axiom. I intend to add the Axiom qs4 surrounds or equilivent down the road along with some subwoofer (open to suggestions on these as well). Another setup I was looking at and I can hear in town here is of course the JBL setup that many people talk about. It includes S312 towers, S center, and either the s or n series surrounds. This setup can be had online for $900 max + the cost of a sub. The Axiom setup comes out to $1300 even + the cost of a sub. Since I cannot hear the Axioms here, I have no opinions on them. I see that they get wonderful reviews and I'm sure I would be happy with them. The question is, would I be so happy with them to spend an extra $400 on them? After I purchase the sound system I plan on saving for a few months to buy a large widescreen hdtv as well so that is something I want to take into account as well. Any input on these systems or any equilivant will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
--Brian

Peter_Al

Auditioning
I have the Axioms VP150 M60 but QS8's with a AVR-320 and am really really happy with them. If you can afford it I'd get the rears ASAP if you are playing HT.
I love their four driver configuration with the tweeters, I'v jumped a few times from the sounds coming out of the back.
Was not too impressed with their sub though. Went with a Paradigm instead.
Try to get a demo (it's your money) by phoning every sound store around if you haven't already.
Preferences between speakers is very subjective so can't really tell you if it's worth $400 to you. But I'v gone through my whole CD selection again just to hear them on these speakers and the new amp :)
Pete.
PS. must say that after getting the sounds system the old 27' TV doesn't seem small anymore. Amazing the diff sounds makes. I'd get the best sound you can get even if means waiting longer for the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks