Need Speaker EX advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom T, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Tom T

Tom T Auditioning

I have B&W 604's up front, with 602's for surrounds. I want to add two center rear surrounds that will go with these (for EX), however I really need to get smaller speakers.

Also, due to constraints of the room, these will be pretty close to the main seating position. Lastly, I really don't want to spend too much on these - my guess is they aren't going to get too much of a workout (altho I could be wrong). My receiver is Pioneer VSX-49.

Thanks for your suggestions.

TomT

2. Tom Camlioglu

Tom Camlioglu Stunt Coordinator

Hi Tom,
    I'm using a 7.1 setup with my Harman/Kardon AVR 8000 (PA2000 to power the rear surrounds).
    What I've got and works rather well is all B&W as well:
    (4) 601's (FL, FR, SurrBack Left, Surround Back Right) an LCR600 (center) and (2) DS6's (B&W THX- Dipoles) for the side surrounds.
    The DS6's almost match the 601's for driver size and best of all they aren't huge hulking monsters. (yeah .. and THX cert isn't bad either)
    Good Luck!
    Tom.[​IMG]

3. Tom T

Tom T Auditioning

Tom,

Thanks for your reply. Do you think I could use the DS6's for the center rear set?

TomT

4. Tom Camlioglu

Tom Camlioglu Stunt Coordinator

Tom,
    You could ... however, according to THX, they recommend the use of monopoles in the back surrounds.
    But that being said, I would say: try the DS6's (or any dipoles)first as the side surrounds and monopoles as the rears, and then try the dipoles in the rear and let your ear decide!
    Tom [​IMG]