What's new

Need Speaker Advice (1 Viewer)

JoshuaML

Grip
I am looking to get a decent low priced (sub 150 if possible, maybe more if I ABSOLUTELY MUST, but i would prefer not to) surround speaker system (with sub) for my apartment, hence the reason i dont want to spend a ton. I will be upgrading to better once I get a house but for now I just need something basic. Can anyone give me an idea on which brands I should consider or a specific system I should look at? I am considering several KLH speaker setups as well as a yamaha. This is for my living room in my apartment and I can provide a picture if it would help. Let me know what ideas you all have. Thanks!!!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Check out the Acoustic Research HC6 5.1 system. It can be found for ~$400 and would be a reasonable buy at $700.

You will be hard pressed to beat this package price. It should serve very nicely until you get a house.

JoshuaML

Grip
I'll take a look at that, I will be posting a picture of my living room so you all can see what I am working with and how little space I actually have. But the help is appreciated :) Thanks!!!

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joshua,
In your original post you stated that you were hoping to spend less than $150 for speakers and a sub. Was that a typo? I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, just curious because the lowest priced sub I've seen was $99 and that would olny leave $51 for the speakers. Maybe you meant $750 or $1500 or something like that. Did you also want to include the reciever and DVD player or just a speaker package?

JoshuaML

Grip
I've seen several KLH systems run for about 170$ retail and that includes a sub. I dont want something expensive as I cant afford it plus I am only in an apartment. Once I get a house I plan to have a budget of about 15-20K$ for a home theater setup (EXLCUDING TV) so I dont want to get anything that will break my budget now.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize. I didn't realize you could find a 5.1 setup in this price range. The only speaker packages including a sub that I've seen in this price range were for computer speakers.

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
I'd look at shoponkyo.com they have a 5.1 set for $170, refurbished. I've got em in my living room now, and I don't think it gets any better for that price. They sound way better than any of the satellite sets I compared them to. I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing me pitch these speakers, but I really think they're a great deal.

Derek_OC

Grip
I don't know how good they are or if anyone has had any experience with them but Parts Express has 5.1 setups from TEAC for $178 shipped in your choice of finishes with free shipping. I know parts express has a pretty good reputation too. So I would probably either suggest that or the onkyos before the klh's. Just another idea.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Do you have a reciever already?

If not, I would seriously consider doing what I did. Get the Kenwood HTB %05. It is a Home thatre in a box type deal, but rather than the typical low end tiny components, you actually get a very decent receiever, decent speakers, all for about $500. It also provides an easy upgrade path.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks