Need source for DVD shelf

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Perret, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Chris Perret

Chris Perret Auditioning

Hello all,

I'm working on building a large bookshelf-type thing to store my DVDs, CDs and video games. I'm looking for a source for some of the L-shaped storage shelves, about 3 to 4 feet long. These are the shelves that kind of tilt the discs back a little.

Anybody have a clue where to look?

Thanks,
    Chris Perret

2. Chris Perret

Chris Perret Auditioning

3. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

If you are making the cabinet, can't you also make the shelves yourself? It looks like you just need to have the horizontal piece of the shelf cut, then screw in a vertical piece along the back length of the shelf.

Attach it to your sides and voila!

I am planning on doing something similar myself once I get my hands on a table saw.

Thanks

Robin Smith

4. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

I would just use wood or metal rods. use 3 per shelf with a bit of a angle.

5. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I'll second Mark's suggestion & add that you only need 2 pieces of wood or metal for each shelf. At least I only needed 2 peices of 1x2 for the one I built [​IMG]

6. Chris Perret

Chris Perret Auditioning

Hi guys!

Yes I know I can build my own shelf out of two pieces of wood, or using dowels/slats, but I was trying to find some pre-made ones to compare prices. I don't want to use the dowels, by the way, because our current CD rack uses those and every time a disc gets a little crooked, it falls and knocks over more discs down below. Horribly unstable, don't like it, not going to do it. If I can't find pre-made shelves, I'll build my own real shelves (not slats/dowels).

Thanks,
    Chris Perret

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer