What's new

Need "sound advice" Newbie at HT (1 Viewer)

ehindes

Agent
Real Name
Eric Hindes
Ok all first thanks for the help I have received to date on building my HT.

I have purchased a Sanyo PLV-4. (excited to get this puppy)

Now I am trying to decide what to do as for an AV.

I almost and still am leaning hard to the YHT-390BL from Yamaha. However, I continue to see a lot of good reports on the Onkyo systems.

I know little about these systems as I don't currently nor have I owned a sound system. I know I want a "real" rec'v no proprietary setup etc.

I really do like and want to stay in the Yamaha price range. Ok need to as I have been overbudget on some other construction items. :)

Thanks
Eric

P.S. Anyone else like the Bose systems? They appear to be highly recommended? :eek:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
And stay away from BOSE unless you enjoy paying an outrageous amout for underperforming speakers and proprietary system setups.

ehindes

Agent
Real Name
Eric Hindes

Here is the only link I have as I was only looking at this Yamaha. I asked about Onkyo as it appeared in a number of posts on this forum.

YHT-390

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I think in long run you are much better off & save money (since you don't feel need to upgrade in a year or two) by finding an extra $250 or so from somewhere in your project budget to get the Onkyo 6100. The problem with the cheaper ones is not enough HDMI inputs, plus they don't accept audio over HDMI (requiring extra cables/use up other digital inputs), so you are limited both in # of components + are shut out of the newest codecs.

6100 has 4 HDMI inputs + full decoding capabilities, I think should be good for 10 years or more maybe, while the lesser ones are arguably already obsolete. Receiver/speakers last a long time, it'll be worth it in the long run to not get something that needs replacement.

ehindes

Agent
Real Name
Eric Hindes
Great response and I will take this under advisement and look at the Onkyo 6100. Thanks again.

Eric

ehindes

Agent
Real Name
Eric Hindes
Since my projector is the Sanyo plv-z4 (720) is it compatible with the 6100?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks