Need something weird

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan T, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Does anyone know of a seperate that has a low and high pass crossover in it? SO that I can run the audio out of the pre outs in the receiver, cross it over, send the low frequency information (80hz and below) to the sub and everything above that back to the receiver through the main ins.

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

The Outlaw ICBM will do what you're asking. Some subwoofers like the Rava SE have low level outs as well.

--Steve

3. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Outlaw ICBM is 250, I'm going to buy a used stereo receiver for less than 75. Plus, it's only for stereo music, not HT. Anyone know of anything cheeper?

4. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Look into the Paradigm Crossover module.

They have 3 types. th X-30 is the best of the bunch.

Don't know what the cost is, thought it was like $75.00

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Jonathan,

Are you building speakers? (I seem to remember a discussion about that.) If you're in the DIY mood you can build a simple active crossover very cheap, maybe $20-30 even. That would be something to look into.

All modern 5.1 receivers can do what you're asking, but I see why you wouldn't want to buy one. (The cheaper ones I listened to sounded pretty bad).

6. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Michael, I'm looking into a stereo receiver, I won't need any DD or DTS stuff for a while. So, buying an AV receiver is a waste of money.

As for DIY, I am planning on building my own speakers and I wouldn't mind building an active low and high pass crossover, I would just need someone to design it for me.

7. Michael R Price

I'd be happy to design one for you. You can e-mail me and we'll work out the specifics. It would be pretty simple, involving buying some electronic parts and soldering them to a little board for the most part. No huge power supplies, or heatsink mounting troubles or anything. Or you might be able to get away with a passive line level highpass on the input of the receiver and use the lowpass built into your sub. It depends on the setup.

8. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

The reciever I will be using has pre outs and main in's. With that in mind, I think the best thing would be to build a crossover that is line level, and worked off the pre outs and main ins.

9. Michael R Price

Jonathan,

What kind of subwoofer do you have and what are its connection options?

10. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

My sub amp has left and right line level inputs and speaker level imputs.

11. Michael R Price

Great, both options will probably work. You can do one of two things.

1. Put a 2nd order RC network on the main-inputs of the receiver. Split the connection at the pre-outs; run one cable to the subwoofer and the other to the filter on your amplifier input. Use the subwoofer's built in crossover to filter its signal. See http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/f...ssiveHLxo.html .

2. Build a 2nd-4th order active crossover and use it to bypass the subwoofer's crossover. This is the usual method.

Option 1 (passive) would be cheaper. However, I have not heard of anyone successfully using a passive line-level crossover since its interaction with the input stage of the receiver is uncontrolled. (Opamps used in most active crossovers effectively isolate the circuits so they do not interact.) You could have much more freedom of slope, frequency and Q using an active crossover, and also it could easily be moved to other components/applications later on. However, that would be a little more money and more difficult to make.

12. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Michael, I'm bad with the vocab, so you'll have to bear with me. I think, option 1 is what I had in mind. Run out from pre outs (2 channels), to X0ver, have 2 channels go back to reciever with info 81hz and higher then everything 80hz and lower goes to the sub at the line level.

Although, the interaction, is something I didn't think of. I'm fine building a powered Xover though. And I have a good amount of money to play with. Although, I don't want to go over 70 dollars with this, as this is the price of the cheepest Xover that I can buy that will get the job done.