What's new

need someone with woodworking skill (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I need some simple stuff put together (in some cases, literally just need pieces cut to size, and one simple glued cube).

The finished pieces are small enough to be shipped-- just need someone who can pick up some cabinet grade woods and have tools to cut them to size.

email me!

[email protected]

-V

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Vince, are you looking for solid hardwood to be cut to your dimensions, rather than hardwood veneered onto MDF for dimensional stability? Either way, Brian is your man.
If he doesn't have time to do it, e-mail me.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

Wood choice is up to you- I usually use cabinet birch for everything, but this is totally something simple that I could probably even do with cardboard if push came to shove...

In my new apartment I have a closet shelf which is tall enough to fit 2 rows of dvds. I was hoping to have a piece of 1/4 inch thick wood cut into a long piece which i could place on top of the first row of DVDs to create a second. For this part, there is no assembly needed, just pieces cut.

So basically I would need 2 pieces:
5.75 inches x 46.5 inches
5.75 inches x 43 inches

Maybe, if it could be a little slick and have a 45 degree cut on each (since the will be positioned in an "L" shape in the corner of the closet)- that would be cool - i could draw it up if that would help.

The second thing is equally simple. As mentioned above, the idea is to put up a piece to make 2 rows of dvds in my closet. But, because the best use would involve using a corner (in an "L" shape)- I wanted to make a dummy wood block to block out the corner so no dvds get lost in the "elbow."

This would basically mean a small empty box the size of a dvd boxed set:

5.5 inches x 5.5 inches x 7.5 inches

Simple corners, something that could be glued up in a short amount of time. If it wouldn't be too mauch hassle, maybe making one end a door (or somehow removable) just so it had a function beyond bookend, but even if it was just a block of wood it would serve my purpose just fine.

These things are 100% function- nothing fancy.

-V

Allen.S

Grip
For the cut to fit stuff, your local hardware store will cut wood for ya, usually for free. Just a thought.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I get this suggestion everytime. The only "hardware store" still in business in any town I've ever lived is Home Depot and Lowes. Neither store will do any "precision cutting"- neither offer any service beyond cutting things down. They certainly won't offer any guarantee of precision except to the nearest inch.

Then, of course, I need 45 degree cuts. And, if things are done well, even a routered edge or two (to make joints to build the corner cubes).

If I could find a hardware store that could do any of this, I'd be in line at dawn. However, none I have found have the ability.

So, if someone wants to make a few bucks and help a HTF'er out (or I could trade for cable credit if you want some canare interconnects)... drop me a line.

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,

Why don't you scetch what you are thinking of and send me a fax. I think I should be able to help you out.
Sounds like 1/4" plywood should do the trick unless you wanted something a little nicer.
Let me know

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks