Need some XP tips

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I don't usually run XP- but decided to experiment on my newest P4 based HTPC I just finished tonight. Although I deal with the OS often at work, there are a few things I want for the HTPC that I never deal with at work.

Namely:

-This system ABSOLUTELY MUST auto log on. I cannot be expected to password, or even press enter on every restart. As a HTPC it must get to desktop directly from power-on... Is there a way to set this to auto login?

- I would really like to hide all desktop icons. I found the switches for hiding network & my computer- but cannot hide the recycle bin. In addition, on 98SE I could have shortcuts on the desktop that were hidden- but could still associate quick key shortcuts. So, in 98 I had shortcuts on the desktop to launch applications (which had keystrokes on the remote) -- but they were invisible. Is there a reg hack to make desktop icons invisible but still display the desktop wallpaper?

- Is there a way to reg hack and remove the XP splash screen? I have been able to swap out 98 screen easily- and found a reg editor which allows changes in win 2000-- so is there some removal tool for XP?

- Any other XP customize tips? I'd like to remove as much XP look from XP as possible and make it transparent.

-Vince

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

If you go to control panel, users, advance tab, you will see at the bottom a box that says scure logon, uncheck that box and it should no longer ask you to login.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Download X-setup (http://www.xteq.com/). It has tons of appearance & performance tweaks for XP. Similar to Microsoft's Power Toys but much more comprehensive.

4. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

5. Paul Spurgeon

Go to this site, and take a look around.. if you are at least a little bit computer literate, you will benefit greatly from reading this site.
    This is a great guide to tweaking a computer that you just installed XP on so that it boots fast, shuts down fast, and basically just kicks ass: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=324&dPage=1. After doing a clean install of XP and running through this guide, my computer fully boots in a shade under 13 seconds, down from 30 before using the guide.
    Enjoy!
    BTW, each one of your requests is addressed at the tweakxp site, I know this for a fact.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, got the auto logon and the icons hidden, thanks guys.

I tried some tweaks, and booting actually takes longer now. Really once the XP screen loads- it boots quickly- but between the bios info screen and the fade in of the XP splash is like 10 seconds. If anyone has tips on how to speed this process, I'm all ears...

I have a few other questions I can't find any answers to:

- If I set the taskbar to autohide, it won't hide unless an application is running. 98 and 2000 both hid the bar on the desktop- but XP seems to be a moron.

- I can't find a decent editor to build my own kernel for replacing the startup screens-- I tried bootxpsetupmfc.exe but it is horribly clumsy and I can't figure out what to do with it. I have realized which file needs replaced, and how tro replace it- I just need the app to create the new file. I did this in win 2000 with no issue, but there seems to be no decent editors for XP.

-Vince

7. Paul Spurgeon

After tweaking my computer, I shortened the boot time considerable (20 secs to 13 secs) by using a utility called bootvis. It was created by Microsoft for use on winXP, and can be found at this link.
    Simply download it, open it, go to the "Trace" menu, then select "Next Boot + Driver Delays". Let it do its thing as it reboots your computer (wait for it to pop up after reboot, it takes a minute). Then go to the "Trace" menu and select "Optimize System", and once again let it do its work. Your computer should boot substantially faster.
    You can also use the bootvis utility to analyze each step of the boot process, and thus discover if you have any bottlenecks occuring that need to be fixed. This requires more than a little computer knowledge, along with the bootvis documentation to walk you along.
    Also, if you look around the tweakXP site, I believe there are multiple entries on how to replace the startup screen. Just keep looking and you should find them.

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Vince
    I absoluely hate XP. I have had more problems and unexplained happanings than all the other OSs combined.
    Good Luck I hope you have beeter Luck
    Grant

9. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator