Need some tips for my setup

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by bruin, May 23, 2003.

1. bruin

bruin Second Unit

During heavy bass scenes in movies like LOTR or Star Wars: TPM & ATOC, vibrations from the sub causes some rattling of the AV1+'s that sit on top and detracts from the listening experience. Any suggestions to get around this? ThanksPic setup

Still waiting on my parasound 855a...

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

3. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Heya Frank,

That's cool that you remembered my name hehe. So you're saying that the putty should be applied between the bottom of the AV1+'s? How thick should it be? I've never seen how the putty looks like but I'm imagining a thick piece of clay like material?

If I use this putty will it be difficult to take the speaker on and off the subs?

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

It does have the consistency of clay. I used it for to put some speakers on stands and all I did was break up one of the putty bars into 4 balls and put it on the bottom of each speaker at the corners and just pushed down a little.

The longer it sits the tougher it's grip gets but with a little wiggling back and forth you'll release it with no problem. The greatest thing about this putty is that no matter how long it sits, it won't leave any marks.

5. Chris Keen

Chris Keen Stunt Coordinator

It is sometimes known as "Blue Tac" or the like. It's about the consistancy of play-do. It's original purpose is as an alternative to thumb tacs that are used to pin things to a wall. It's not adhesive based though.

This may help eliminate some of the resonation that you're getting.

I'm gonna suggest another thing that you might try also. Adding mass, and also a process that I believe is called "decoupling" or something similar.

Try this on for size. See if there is a marble / granite custom place located somewhere in your town. Probably a few. Take a measurement of the tops of your subwoofers. See if the marble / granite place has any left over or "scrap" sections of material that are in your size range. They can probably make you a deal on some, and it can be more reasonable than you think. Also, it could add some nice appeal and look to your setup. Think about some of the nice dressers and night-stands you've seen with a slab on top. See if you can get some 1-2" thick. This will help add mass to your sub enclosure and this will help limit some of the resonating.

In conjunction with this, I would suggest seeing if you can either decouple the av1+ speakers from the subs either using the Blue Tac approach, or maybe even some nice looking spikes. The spikes will limit the contact surface area that the reasonations can travel through, and the Blue Tac is just going to try and absorb some of it between the two masses.

Oh, and I think decoupling the subs from the floor might also help localize the resonations a bit too. I'm no engineer, but I see the resonations as energy. The energy is vibrating and something is absorbing it and converting it into another energy. If the sub is coupled to the floor and pushing energy towards the floor, the floor is much more solid and probably help resonate the energy back to the speaker. I'm guessing that you want to isolate it to the sub and add mass to the sub to help control it.

Just a suggestion.

6. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Great tips guys! I'll check these suggestions out except the spiking the sub idea. It'll be such a pain (at least to me) to install spikes. Each sub is very heavy. It took me and the seller to get it to my car. I think it's about 100lb. But I'll check out the slab and the dough idea.

7. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

My Paradigm Atoms sit on top of my DIY speaker stands(see link for more info)and have blue-tac securing them to the stands. Between the blue-tac, two layers of particle board, bumpers and about 30 inches of sand there is very little to no vibration transfer to the speaker. During bass heavy scenes I have felt the top of my Paradigm Atoms( I turned off the surrounds so I knew if i felt any vibrations they weren't coming from that speaker) and I feel only the faintest of a vibrations and this is pretty impressive when you consider that the Atom is directly beside the subwoofer and my pant legs are blowing around from the pressure of the sub.