What's new

Need some thoughts/adjustments (big) (1 Viewer)

Jedd

Second Unit
I'm trying to keep low profile and budget, to learn what to do and how to do.
So I decided for small sealed shiva sonotube.
- 12"x4' tube from home-depot ~ 89L cabinet (w/o driver and cap)
- shiva driver - upfiring, to seal the tube from the top, and avoid legs mounting
- couple sheets of 1/2" MDF to seal the rest
- 75W power from the receiver
- some tools to cut&glue
So I downloaded the lspCAD and "designed" (just put tube and room size in) the cabinet.
Here what I got:
r3.gif

r2.gif

r1.gif

Are those numbers look good or I'm missing something badly?
What other parts should I order? (terminals, x-over)
What should I stuff it with and how much of stuff do I need?
Thanks

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
It will be top heavy with the driver mounted on top. It could fall over. Why not just use the down firing design and use legs?

Jedd

Second Unit
Hmm, maybe I'll balance it with an iron plate, so it wont trip over.

The problem is how to mount 12" driver into the 12" tube. I hope 1/2" wooden circle-washer and 2 all-thread rods or 2 wooden sticks will be enough to support the weight of the driver. (although I never saw how Shiva looks like, so I might be completle wrong here)

In downfiring design I have no idea how to keep the driver from falling and legs become an issue too. (I'll have to glue them on sides or something)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Just make a larger endcap, then mount the legs on the cap. With a 12" driver you are acually better off going with 14-16" sonotube.

Jedd

Second Unit
Jeff, somehow I thought about diving driver into the tube, instead of putting it out on the cap, thanks. (feel a bit stupid :b )

Of course I'd like to get 16" tube and put Tempes inside, but the problem is that everything >12" costs > $100, 12" is just a $7

Dustin, it was the firt document I've read. Shiva needs only 11" hole to fit in, that's why I hope to do it with a 12" tube.

What do you think about graphs, are they any good or I should work on them more?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So basically you have a 1" wide ring of MDF 12" in outer diameter. That's not a lot of margin for the screw hole integrity for each screw hole. I hope you hammer in a lot of nails around the perimeter, and glue/caulk the hell out of it.

Otherwise, you're ok.

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
Jedd,

I called around and found a 20" dia x 6' Sono tube for $30. You just have to shop. I found the price at a masonary supply store, I just looked in the yellow pages under concrete supply and started calling. The most exspensive piece I found was over $7 a foot.

I have been amp shopping also, I found a 3 month old QSC RMX2450 and the guy is going to sell it to me for $425.

If you want to save money put in the time and shop, the deals are out there.

TedO

Jedd

Second Unit
So basically you have a 1" wide ring of MDF 12" in outer diameter. That's not a lot of margin for the screw hole integrity for each screw hole. I hope you hammer in a lot of nails around the perimeter, and glue/caulk the hell out of it.
That's the plan. :)
Although it's 1/2" wide ring only, so I'll put it on the 13" square with the 11" hole, glue them together and screw the driver with the long thin screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks