What's new

Need some tech help with XP restore console (1 Viewer)

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
On loading the Windows XP on my laptop says there is a driver file missing so it cannot run the explorer, so my desktop is blank. It says the missing file is :

shdocvw.dll from explorer.EXE

and recommends I reinstall it. Since my laptop did not come with an XP CD I presume the only way to do this is through the Restore Console. So I tried opening it, it's not exactly user friendly. There are no instructions on how to use it plus it asks for a password. I've never used it before or set up a password for it (my regular system password wont work).

Could a more tech experienced dude out there guide me through getting that driver reinstalled.

Much obliged, thanks.

LewB

Screenwriter
Paul:
I just got finished with using this thing, not fun !

IIRC first it asks you which windows you want to boot, I selected the only choice I had which was 1.c:windows. Then I logged on using the only account that I had on the machine and it's password. I never set up the password so I just hit enter. I was then presented with a C: prompt. I think you will need to used the EXPAND command to get a copy of the missing dll from the CD back to your hard drive. enter help at the c: prompt and you'll get a listing of the commands that can be used.
You might also try 'googling' shdocvw.dll, you might get luck and find something from the MS 'knowledge database' that might help. Good luck !

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the tips. I didnt get an XP cd with my laptop so I cant retrieve the file from there. I already tried the google way, all the help on Microsoft's website refers to using the XP cd, whic wasn't supplied with my computer! Looks like I'll have to get a copy of XP from somewhere.

LewB

Screenwriter
Does XP acutally boot up ? If so, open a Command prompt window and do the following:
CD C:
DIR shdocvw.dll /s

If there is a copy of the file in question anywhere on the drive this should show it. Perhaps there is a copy burried somewhere else...

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
There should be a copy of that file in the .CAB files that are in your Windows direcory.
Since it's an important system file, Window *should* have reinstalled it automatically....perhaps it's not a vital file...
if you like, PM me later tonight, and I'll send you a copy of my file.

-Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks