Need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaptDS9E, Aug 14, 2002.

1. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Ive had a Sony Dav S300 system for a while as i was on a small budget, but i want upgrade to seperate equipment. Ok in a month or two im going to have around $750. But i will probably spend a bit more on the stuff. I want to get a reciever(I saw the thread about the pioneer for $300 that sounded good) and i want to get some speakers. Im not looking to blow the roof off the house. My time speakers with the sony system were loud as it was. I just need suggestions on the reciever(would like it to have dolby ex and dts es) and the speakers/subwoofer. Any suggestions would help for the price range.

thanks
    capt

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

First off, for the receiver i would reccomend the Pioneer VSX-D811S (Probably the $300 Pioneer you were referring to). It has DD EX, DTS ES, DPLII, Neo:6, component and svideo switching, and is an all around great receiver for it's price range. To get it for under $300 shipped, you need to order from an online store called Simple Robots:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/simplero.../vsxd811s.html
    It will be $278 + about $19 shipping.
    For speakers, the best you can do for the money (other than DIY) would be fluance. If you do a search for fluance, you'll find alot of praise on this board.
    With fluance, there are a couple of different ways you could go. They have a 5 speaker combination package (3-way tower mains, 2-way center, and 2-way surrounds) for $199. Add a set if the av-bp2 bipole surrounds to use as your back surrounds (or switch and put the bipoles as main surrounds and the other surrounds in the back, depending on which soundfield you like more) in a 7.1 setup, and you'll have everything but a subwoofer for $580. This would allow around $170 for a subwoofer. For $200 w/ free shipping you could get the JBL PB-10 150W sub from J&R, which would give you a GREAT all around system for $780.
    The other fluance route would require a lil more investment, but will give you an all around better setup (even though i'll reccomend the same subwoofer). This setup would be comprised of the AV-5 main 3-way tower speakers ($179), the MV-670C Center ($69), and 2 sets of the av-bp2 bipoles as your main and back surrounds ($80 + $80). Again, add the JBL PB-10 150Watt sub from J&R ($200), and you would have an amazing system for $910 total.
    Hope this helps, have fun, and good luck.

3. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Oh yeah, the webpage for all of the fluance stuff i recomended is www.fluance.com

4. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Thanks Stephen. Thats the exact reciever i was talking about

5. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Just curious, what did ya think of the speakers and sub i showed you?

6. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I would second Stephen's recommendation except for I would go with a different sub. I would go for the Sony SA-WM40 just because it goes lower and you can modify it and make it even better.

7. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I thought the speakers were also excellent and both recommendations for the subwoofer im taking under consideration as well.

Capt

8. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The only problem with the Sony is the mods to make it sound great (other than the ployfill, which i'd do to any sub) is replacing the driver. If i were going to replace the driver, i wouldn't even get the sony to begin with, i'd build one from scratch, but that's just me.

I hope to be building a sonosub w/ either a swan or dls driver in the next few months, powered by a pe 250w plate amp, so if you would be interested in DIY, for $200 you could build a great sub, and then finish it (asteticly, it would be fully functional) as time goes by.

9. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

This is my first time doing seperate parts so i dont think im ready to build a sub :)

Capt