Need some suggestions......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_III, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Paul_III

Paul_III Agent

Feb 7, 2003
    I just purchased the following HT components from my roommate who is moving out:

1) Pioneer PRO-710HD (Pioneer Elite 64")
    2) Polk Audio reference CC
    3) DCM fronts
    4) AudioSource 12" powered sub

Now I need to start looking at receivers and at least 2 more speakers (if not a whole new set, I know there are some problems associated with mixing different brand speakers). I've invested a fair amount of money so far, so I'm looking for decent quality components. The problem is, I'm not entirely sure of where to begin, since I'm not real familiar with brand names, etc. I do know for the receiver I want something that is capable of 6.1, and the two speakers would be the LR front speakers. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    looks like you're on your way to ht! congrats!

as far as receivers go, there's a few names that most of us will agree are worth looking at. in no particular order, they are: denon, yamaha, onkyo, harmon kardon, pioneer (elite series), sony (es series), and outlaw (

all of these are reputable brands with decent quality and performance. they run the gamut of price - all the way from a few hundred to a few thousand.

sorry i can't be more specific with model numbers, but maybe someone else can chime in. once they give you specific model numbers, i recommend you hop over to the a/v sources forum and do a search. specific questions about that model.

i do recommend you go with a whole new set of speakers...or at least try to timbre-match your front three. maybe you can find some polk audio mains and then move the dcm's to the rear?