What's new

Need some suggestions for good kitchen knives. (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

She also has a brown belt in karate. Having seen what she can do to a house brick with her bare hands, believe me, I choose my words and actions very carefully. :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the recs folks. Hopefully, I'll be able to find this stuff. I usually go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and occasionally drop by William Sonoma.

chris_everett

Second Unit
I was recently in the market for a new set of knives, so I purchased one knife of each of the following types, with the intent of sending all but one back and buying a block set.

All knives were 7" Santukos with scalloped edges. All were forged.

1. Furi "Gusto-Grip" (Endorsed by Rachel Ray)
2. Calaphon
3. Wustof Classic
4. Henkels Twin Cuisine
5. Kershaw Shun Classic (Endorsed by Alton Brown)

The worst of the bunch was the Furi. The handle was lousy. I mean really, really bad. And it was dull. Really, really dull, in spite of it's spiffy sharpening system that they rave about. Build quality seemed low to me too. It may work for someone with very small hands, but I'd want to figure a way to sharpen it first.

Next up is the Calaphon. Nice heavy handle, with the type of blade engraved on the end cap. Also the cheapest of the bunch. Unfortunantly, it wasn't very sharp compared to the other knifes. (but better than the Furi). If you want to save some money, this may be the place to go.

The Henkels and Wustof were a tie in terms of the blade. The Henkels handle was _very_ heavy, to heavy for my taste. If you have large hands, this is the blade for you. The Wustof was the lightest handle of the bunch, and a bit to light for me, but my fiance liked it.

My favorite, and the most expensive, was the Shun. Alton says "The beauty of these blades is only surpassed by their performance" He's not kidding. It was sharp. Scary sharp. 1 mm thin slices of tomatos sharp. And it is beautiful, with a wood handle and a folded steel blade. The handle may not be good for a lefty. My fiance found it a touch heavy.

I kept the Shun, and ordered a 9 piece block set.

Users who are viewing this thread