1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Some Sony Receiver Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BlackOps, Mar 12, 2018.

1. BlackOps

BlackOps Agent

Joe Houston
    Need some help with something. I’ve gone from an Onkyo to a Sony, specifically an 1100ES. On the Onkyo, I could set the desired “sound field” for each time of audio. So various varieties of Dolby and DTS were process exactly as they are, but all 2.0 channel sources (usually from apps and such) would be automatically processed as fake 5.1 vis Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X.

I cannot figure how to do this with my Sony receiver. When I am listening to a 2.0 source (such as most DirecTV Now channels via the Apple TV) and manually change it from A.F.D. to Dolby Surround or the DTS matrixing variety...it works....until it doesn’t. Once I leave that app or channel, it reverts back to A.F.D. It does this each and every time. I have tried doing this through the full menu and by using the “Options” button on the remote.

What am I doing wrong? I DO want A.F.D. for sources with native surround sound an that I’m not screwing up the audio for movies and such, but I can’t seem to matrix these other 2.0 sources automatically.

Thank you!